What's new

Yamaha RX-V630 feedback (1 Viewer)

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jason.

The only real difference that I saw between the 730 and the 630 is that the 730 does the DTS-ES discrete thing. Is it worth the extra $100? That's for you to decide. On a side note, I'm pretty sure that DD-EX discrete exists, because Yamaha claims that the 5560 (630) will decode it.

Kevin Webb

Agent
Thanks to a Best Buy CC and their no restocking fee, 30 day return policy I decided to take the 5560 (630) for a test drive.
My intial impressions:
* binding posts for all 8 speaker connections (Main A & B, Center, Rear LCR).
* DTS is definately worth it! This is my first personal experince with DTS. The DTS tracks I listened to (T2, Gladiator) had more clarity than the comperable DD tracks. I love my U2 Elevation DVD, but the Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" DTS CD put it to shame. It was clean with a great soundfield. Having the crowd and the instruments surround you made the recording exciting.
* Pro Logic II makes TV and non-DD recordings more dynamic.
* Terrific array of inputs/outputs for a sub $500 unit. It has 1 coaxial, 4 optical inputs and 1 optical output. It also has 2 component inputs and 1 component output. You can reassign the digital and analog inputs. I reassigned the coaxial input to my DVD player. It also has pre-outs for all 6 channels and 6.1 channel inputs, meaning that you can hook up external amps or use it as a budget amp when you get that Outlaw 950.
* It sounded a little brighter than my old H/K, but once I put the grills back on my Wharfedale's it seemed to control the brightness. Either my ears have adjusted or the combination of the grills and some burn-in time have mellowed the unit.
* The only negative about the unit is the inability to manually tune in radio stations using the remote. The remote can only select the pre-selected radio stations. For someone who likes to flip around and find those occiasionally hard-to-get stations, that is a drawback.
All in all, I am impressed with the build quality and the sound from the unit. I can see why so many HTF members have recommended Yamaha. Good, clean sound that seems accurate to my ears. I'm not sure if I am going to keep it, but at least I've got 28 more days to decide :)

Peter Holland

Auditioning
Has anyone compared the new Yamahas to the new Onkyo units(600)? The spects seem close. Also the Yam 1200 seems very close to the Yam 630&730. Why spend more for the 1200?

Thanks

Peter

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
The only real difference that I saw between the 730 and the 630 is that the 730 does the DTS-ES discrete thing.
According to Yamaha's comparison chart and manuals, both the 730 and 630 will do DTS-ES. The only difference that I can make out is the 730 has 1 more audio input, a phono input and a remote with an LCD display.

The 1200 has a bit more power 80Wx6 at 0.04% THD vs 75Wx6 at 0.06% THD. The 1200 has DTS Neo 6, 1 more optical input and one more Coax input, another audio input and the component bandwidth is 60MHz vs the x30's 30MHz. 12 volt trigger, a learning remote and a detachable power cord.

Is the 1200 worth the extra$, I don't know. But the x30's seem to be a great value.

GregK

Screenwriter
According to the PDF manuals from Yamaha. The 630 and
730 do DTS-ES. There is no mention of discrete ES decoding.
I think it's important to clarify that DTS-ES and DTS
ES-DISCRETE are not one and the same. ES decoding
involves matrix decoding that is almost identical to what
is used with Dolby's EX scheme. Discrete DTS mixes are also
ES matrix compatible. But DTS ES-discrete decoders can
pull additional data found in a few discrete DTS 6.1 DVD
titles. (Not all DTS ES titles are encoded as ES-discrete)
So DTS ES-discrete decoders can pull out a better DTS 6.1
soundfield with selected titles.
Also, there is no 6.1 discrete version of Dolby Digital EX,
only the matrix version via found in some discrete 5.1
DD mixes is available.

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
I've gotten conflicting info from Yamaha...the manual says the 630 only does Matrix, but the website says in does both, as far as DTS is concerned. Also, DON'T BUY THE 1200!!!!!!!! Why? You pay a few hundred more, and it doesn't even do PRO LOGIC II! Great receiver, but I think the 5560 (630) is better.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Also, DON'T BUY THE 1200!!!!!!!! Why? You pay a few hundred more, and it doesn't even do PRO LOGIC II! Great receiver, but I think the 5560 (630) is better.
Well, first of all, DPLII is nice, but only if you watch more regular TV/VHS then DVD's. Second, the RX-V1200 DOES have DPLII. Here's what the Yamaha site has to say about it:

The RX-V1200 is a full-featured home theater receiver ready for all formats and for custom installation. It delivers high power to six channels and provides DTS ES, Neo 6 and DTS ES Matrix 6.1 decoding as well as Dolby Digital 6.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding.

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.