What's new

Yamaha RX-V630 feedback (1 Viewer)

Carl Normand

Auditioning
I just wanted to say high this is my first post but I have been browsing the site for the past few months!!!

I am looking to get opinions/feedback on the Yammie RX-V630 receiver. What other receivers would compare to that one.

Well I can't really say much now because I've never personally heard that brand of speaker. I don't know what your tastes are in music and such. But what I have personally found is that yamaha recievers tend to be bright. I had a 630 for about 3 or 4 months and got rid of it in place of an integra 7.1. I did an inhome audition of a denon 3802, Integra 7.1 and a marantz 7200. The denon and the integra were the most mellow out of the bunch, something I was looking for because I have paradigm monitor speakers which also tend to be a bit bright. The denon and the integra were excellent misically where the denon was a little more pronounced in the mid range and the Integra was a little more pronounced in the low trebble area. So I would say it really depends on your tastes and what "personality" your speakers have.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
I had a 630 for about 3 or 4 months and got rid of it
Aaron,

how is it that you had the RX-V630 for 3 or 4 months, when this new unit hit the store shelves just this past month. Late March, early April. I just picked one of these up from a local store, as they just received these in about a week before I called.

Chuck

Noah

Agent
Hey Chuck, I have a 630 on order and was wondering if you could post your first impressions of it--I was thinking of buying a 5-ch amp to feed the signal to (Parasound 855?), but if the internal amps are much better than the older Yammies, I might hold off. I am currently using a Denon 1801. What are your thoughts on the 630?

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Noah,

so far I am diggin it. I sold my Sony 777ES receiver to pay some lawyer stuff, and replaced it with the 630.

At first, when I set it up, I was thinking that this receiver would not allow me to reassign the digital inputs. This unit comes standard with the single coax digital cable assigned for cd use. I have always used an expensive coax digital cable from my dvd player. Once I cracked open the manual, I found that the I/O's are completely assignable via the setup menu.

The receiver's front panel is pretty scarce when it comes to controlling all the receiver's features. The remote is basically the 630's keyboard. Pretty much the entire setup is done through the remote.

I was going to wait out the arrival of the 730 so I would get the On Screen menu's, but decided that $450 for the 630 was good enough for me.

Once I set it all up, I played some music from my ES cd player.

The RX-V630 and I would assume the other new 30 series units are very musical. My Sony 777ES is a highly regarded unit and has perhaps the best amp section in any flagship receiver, so I have been spoiled the past couple of years. So I was a bit skeptical as to what this new Yammy could do for me. I sat and listened to music the entire evening with the lights on low, and the kids in bed. I wanted to lend it my best critical ear. What I heard were very sweet sounds.

The next afternoon / evening session was geared for DVD playback. My son selected The Pantom Menace as our first movie to play.

Let me say that I have always liked Yamaha's DSP's. the 70mm stuff for analog and the digital Spectical/Sci Fi/adventure settings all rock. This 630 with it's very conservative 75 Watts x 6 channels is more than capable of rocking your living room. AND it didn't get very hot like the Sony's do.

After the Phantom Menace in 6 channel DD-EX mode, I played some Band Of Brother SVCD's that I have (The entire series).

Selected PLII and just enjoyed the hell out of them. The Sony that I was using before did not expand the soundstage as well as this 630 does in Pro Logic II mode.

I have played around with basically all the DSP settings, and then switch over to plain stereo mode for music. I am impressed. Yamaha has a winner on their hands with these new 30 series receivers.

By the way, my receiver came out of the box set to reduce stereo output by -10db. So when I played anything using the DSP's, the sound was fine. If I switched to stereo, the output was real low. I forget the exact setting name, but it was in the Speaker setup menu. The manual states that if you cannot get your speakers output to match, enable the -10db setting. I don't get it, but its a feature that some may need.

I may go get the 730 if it comes out before my 30 day return window expires. With the 730, you get a learning remote (which I don't need since the 630's remote has plenty of support for all brands) and you get OSM. Plus phono jacks, but I don't have any plans on buying a record player any time soon. You know how it is, we HT nuts always want to spend more money on more equipment.

ALso, the amp is rated at a minimum 75watts x 6 at 20 - 20k hertz with no more than .06% THD. It will play much louder than that if asked to. I have pretty efficient speakers so this will do me just fine.

Chuck

Duane R

Second Unit
For those interested, I saw the HTR5560 (the 630 equivalent) at my local Best Buy today. I played around with it a bit and it seems like a solid unit. Too bad it was only hooked up to some crappy little satellite speakers.

Chuck-

Does this receiver do Discrete DTS-ES or is it Matrixed? How much "headroom" does this unit have? I like to play CD's and DVD's @ about 70-80db. Where on the volume knob does it hit that at?

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, all. This is my first post, actually. I got the HTR-5560 a few days before it was slated for its retail debut (I work at Best Buy), and its a REALLY nice amp for the money!

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Anyway, here are those features for you:

-True Hi-Def Component Switching

-6 S-video inputs on back panel

-assignable digital I/Os

-6.1 Channel configuration (DD-EX discrete and Matrix, DTS-ES Matrix)

-Parallel A/B front speaker switching

-Dynamic power (handles 2 ohms safely, but is only stable down to 4)

-Dolby ProLogic II

The only downside is that it doesn't have a phono input (yes, I still use a turn table- long live vinyl!).

Hope that helps!

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Duane,

The 630 has DD-EX and DTS-ES.

As far as headroom goes, the volume knob is a digital controlled volume. So the knob goes round and round as you increase the volume. Since it has the new yamaha digital volume control, the faster you turn the knob, the quicker it either goes up or down in volume. Turning the knob slowly, lets you fine tune the volume lever by .5 db increments.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
The 630 sure can do DTS-EX, plus Matrix 6.1. This new line of receivers has all decoding options, including DTS:NEO.

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
The 630 (or 5560) decodes DD-EX...both matrix and discrete. It doesn't actually decode DTS-ES discrete...only Matrix. All-in-all, you'd be hard pressed to find a receiver as good as this one in this price range. Maybe a Denon, but they're "sister companies" anyway. It's pretty cool that Yamaha turned it's back on George Lucas. I mean, when you get right down to it, THX certification is a joke anyway...Why pay an extra $40-80 per unit just to have three letters stamped on your amp? Why did Yamaha opt against THX certification? ...they didn't want to have to share their DSP (sound field) technology with all the other THX "Slaves." At least that's the story I got, but I could be wrong.

Noah

Agent
Chuck-

I work at a home theater shop, so I have ordered it directly from Yamaha. I just got word that it will be next month before it arrives(!), and seeing as how I have already sold my Denon, I think I will upgrade to either the 1200 or 2200 (both available now). I am purchasing an entire B&W 600 series 3 package, so I figure they will be better driven by the better recievers anyway. Does anyone have any experience with this type of combination? Any feedback would be welcome.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.