What's new

Yamaha RX-V4600....YPAO sucks (1 Viewer)

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done reading the review of this unit here. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/r...eiver_main.htm (follow the link to the review on this page)and I dont really like what they are saying about the auto EQ set up (YPAO). they are saying that it wont calibrate anything for the sub or speakers below 62.5Hz....umm wth? also all of the calibration modes (front, flat, and natural) add their own "sound" to your speakers?? I thought the purpose of a AVR was to be "transparent" and now yamaha is adding a feature that is purposfully non-transparent? the other cons listed on this review I could live with but the YPAO (a selling point for me) is virtually worthless and not to mention and PAIN to turn off. are all of the YPAO yamaha receivers like this :angry: ? how does the pioneer PEQ compared to this one?

anyone have any experience with this receiver?

Gavin

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty funny Yammy's own website links to a review that basically says the YPAO sucks.. :)

rob-h

Second Unit
YPAO is not a pain to tun off on the yamaha recivers that I have seen. You just dont use it. You set the levels yourself. The PEQ you switch to GEQ which you have manual control over and can leave 0db. The front, flat, and natural do not add sound, they are just eq modes. They boost or cut the range depending on the response you want. The front and flat are not bad really but they do give the feeling that the sound is not as full. But thats a trait of all PEQ's.

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
rob-h,

thats the thing, they changed it on the 4600, if you read the review. you have to turn it off for each speaker and set up each speaker manually then save that as one of the programable set-ups.

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my next question, which I dont think was answered in the review is: can you use the auto EQ to set the distances the listening position is from the speakers and the SPL and not use any of the sound altering features in the YPAO? because that would make this still of some use to me vs. being worthless. I noticed in the review they talked about "incosisttent results for PEQ and bass management." does that mean that the PEQ doesnt set up the SPL and distances right? or its different each time for the same set-up? which can not be right?

Gavin

John S

Senior HTF Member
As he indicated, it hardly ever sets the sub distance correctly. Most auto EQ's do real well with the distances on the mains/sats in my experience as well.

kevitra

Second Unit
That review does have some pretty negative comments about YAPO.

It is sad that they rate the output power with 1 or 2 channels driven. I'd like to see it with 5 or 7 driven. I'm guessing Yamaha wouldn't post the review on their website if it showed the numbers from those tests.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
You should really try it out first before automatically knocking it. In my experiences every companies auto eq systems drastically improves the SQ. As far as it not doing any eq down low for the bass...that's the same for many manufacturers.

In regards to how it compares to Pioneer, IMO the better Pioneer's with Advanced MCACC are a better system because it has the ability to tell the difference between the speakers response and the room response. Sounds like something you might like.

Frank

rob-h

Second Unit
Frank, can you explain how it can do this? All it knows is that It's getting sound. How can it tell if its direct from the speaker or if room response is a factor? It would need to know the response of your specific speakers in a chamber before it could figure out room respone. At least thats how it seems to me.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Rob,

The quick version is it takes a few milliseconds longer for the reflected sound from your walls, floor, and ceiling to reach to mic compared to the direct sound of the speakers. The Pioneer will measure the sound before and after the reflected sound hits the mic. Doing it this way it can see the response of the speaker before the room has time to interact with its response. This is only with the Advanced MCACC and you have to go to the expert setup mode to use this feature.

Regards,

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks