Yamaha RX-V430

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Olly Dean, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Olly Dean

Olly Dean HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I was just wondering if anyone here uses the Yamaha RX-V430 receiver (the Yamaha HTR-5540 is the same thing in titanium silver). I'm looking for a new, entry-level receiver and it seems pretty good for the price I'm looking to pay.

If you have one or have had any experience with them in the past I'd appreciate it if you'd give me your opinion.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

The 430 is a very good "entry" level reciever I would take it over many models out there I've got its big big big brother the 730 and I absolutely love it, In all honesty I dont believe theres too much difference in the Amplifiers aside from the 730 being 6.1. I would highly recommend it myself.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'd highly recommend you spend the extra money on a 530 or even a 630. The difference in inputs is signficant. You get 1 optical and 1 coax digital input on the 430, and that just won't last. DVD, satelite or digital cable, game machine, CD player, all those things could use it. Also, the 630 gets you pre-outs for all channels. Its basically got everything you need to last for quite some time. With the pre-outs you could add a decent amp to it in the future and have an instant upgrade in sound quality.

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    I have to agree with Keith. An important feature in a receiver is inputs, the more the better. Pre-amp outputs are also a very nice option and can lead to a very serious sound system if you ever add an external amp. Considering a receiver will be the heart of your sound system I would pay the extra cash for the extra inputs and features. However, from a quality point of view, the 430 is well built just like all Yamahas.

- Mike

5. Olly Dean

Olly Dean HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

6. JeremyFr

The 630/730 would give you enough digital ins/outs to keep ya happy, matter of fact I saw an HTR-5540 at sears on closeout for 299.99 here in Washington, which is the HTR version of the 630.

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

My friend at Tweeters sasys that they have the htr5540 on sale at $149 and the rxv630 on sale at $350

8. JeremyFr

I'm sorry I screwed up I meant the 5560 the 630 equivelant. not the 5540 I apologize.