What's new

Yamaha RX-V371 slow signal detection issue (1 Viewer)

pounder45

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
I've been having trouble with my Yamaha RX-V371 surround amp with a slow signal detection issue. I'm running everything through the amp (with good HDMI cables) which is the cable TV box (Foxtel IQ2 in Australia), LD Blu-Ray, LG 3D LED TV, and XBOX 360. We mostly just use the Foxtel box and the issue is when I turn the three main things we use on (i.e. Foxtel box, amp and TV), after it being off for an hour or more the amp seems to have trouble detecting the signal with the picture coming on and off for a second or two (sometimes a green or white noise screen appears as well) followed after a minute or so with a stable picture but no sound. The sound eventually is detected and comes on after a couple of minutes and all is okay. When we turn everything thing off and leave it for an hour or so, the whole screen flickering, no sound, etc issue starts all over again. Very frustrating.

We've had this set up for about three years now and it used to work fine. Everything when turned on came on straight away. The issue seems to have started over the last six months or so. I've tried reading up on it but can't find an answer. As I've mentioned, when everything is 'warmed up' it works fine. We get a good picture in HD and sound in 5.1. I've tried turning ARC off and on the amp (The TV does not have ARC), resetting the amp to factory settings along with the LG TV but the issue persists. At first we thought it was the Foxtel box so we got it replaced but no change. I also then tried testing each unit by hooking up each one direct to the TV with no problems (picture and sound straight away) so the problem seems to be the amp itself. Is the HDMI decoder in it playing up?

The amp is now out of warranty so before taking it to a Yamaha service centre are there any other suggestions to fix this issue?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess...

Dust.

You might try taking the cover off and spraying it with canned air. Just like you would do a computer.

A have an older Onkyo(even older than your Yamaha) that takes up to 25 seconds on initial turn on to get audio on the STB. Video typically arrives in 10-15 seconds. Everything else is darn near instantaneous.

Keep in mind, the STB is the only device that has variable resolution and sound mode changes...on the fly.

No other source switches 1080 for SD(NTSC or PAL down there?) in seconds.

pounder45

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Okay, I opened the unit up and blew all the dust out (it wasn't too bad) but it didn't change anything (no offense but I didn't think dust was the problem) and it still takes a while before a signal is detected, sometimes up to 20 minutes. Can the software on these be updated or any other suggestions?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
How old is the 371? I'd be curious if a newer 375 or 377 would be cheaper than service centre repair....

pounder45

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
A new 375 or 377 currently go between $350-$450 respectively. My 371 is about 3 1/2 years old. No sure what a service repair would cost but I guess in the worst case scenario it would probably involve changing the whole HDMI board so no idea what that would cost (but suspect it wouldn't be cheap).

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I misread that, sorry. Thought it was older ... that's disconcerting that it's going bad so soon. My Yammies last for many years (my 663, in a box in the closet, was going strong after 7 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks