What's new

Yamaha RX-V367 - questions (1 Viewer)

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Just got this. Couple questions.

1) I have my PC HDMI into my TV. In order to not run another HDMI cable, I ran the PC one into the receiver. Now the TV has a messed up resolution. The PC is set to clone my main monitor, and the TV and monitor are the same default res, 1920.. It worked perfectly until the receiver is in the picture. I am wonder if it is trying to convert the signal and not doing a true hdmi-passthrough? Do I have to enable hdmi-passthrough for certain HDMI inputs?

2) One of the main reasons I got this was the CEC capability. Using LG's SimpLINK this should work. But the LG's simplink screen shows no devices are either connected or capable? Not sure how to fix this.

I googled and google, and even searched their manual and can't find anything about cec or passthrough in there. Any help?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CEC is not guaranteed to work work between two brands. What were you expecting the CEC to "do" anyway? How do you have the "two monitors" connected? Lets call the LG here a 2nd monitor(keeps it simple).And the 367 doesn't have any form of scaling...so there is no setting. It sends what it gets.

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
schan1269 said:
CEC is not guaranteed to work work between two brands. What were you expecting the CEC to "do" anyway?How do you have the "two monitors" connected? Lets call the LG here a 2nd monitor(keeps it simple).And the 367 doesn't have any form of scaling...so there is no setting. It sends what it gets.
I am expecting CEC to allow me to use my normal remote to control the volume of the HT speakers.

They are just HDMI->DVI. PC still sees the LG TV. But TV no longer renders correct resolution.

Just found another problem. Apparently the receiver turns off an input if it's not in use? So my PC only sees the connection when I change to that input. Which makes it reset all clone/main display settings everytime. May have to run PC HDMI seperately and hope the ARC function works correctly!

And again, I just realize what I was supposed to get from Amazon was an RX-373 not 367. Researching difference that may be causing my issues?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is this "normal remote"?

The 367 shouldn't be messing with the resolution, at all. It doesn't even have scaling. It would need scaling to change the resolution. (And, again, how is this stuff connected in the first place??????????????????????????????)

Turns off an input? Do you mean changes its own inputs? What is connected to that input turns off? What?

ARC is only in 5.1 from the internal tuner of the TV. Every other input will be dumbed down to 2.0pcm. DVI and ARC makes no sense.

So...the real issue here may be...

HDCP/handshake.

When you added in the 367, were the TV/Monitor/PC all unplugged from the wall(in the PC's case, just in standby is good enough)?

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
schan1269 said:
What is this "normal remote"?

The 367 shouldn't be messing with the resolution, at all. It doesn't even have scaling. It would need scaling to change the resolution. (And, again, how is this stuff connected in the first place??????????????????????????????)

Turns off an input? Do you mean changes its own inputs? What is connected to that input turns off? What?

ARC is only in 5.1 from the internal tuner of the TV. Every other input will be dumbed down to 2.0pcm. DVI and ARC makes no sense.

So...the real issue here may be...

HDCP/handshake.

When you added in the 367, were the TV/Monitor/PC all unplugged from the wall(in the PC's case, just in standby is good enough)?
Normal remote. Like...not having to use an additional remote? The "normal remote" you control the TV/Cable with? Not sure what's not to understand here. The main purpose of SimpLINK and HDMI-CEC. To use ONE REMOTE...most likely...your "normal remote".

How is it connected? Didn't I just explain. PC DVI->HDMI receiver in-> HDMI receiver out->TV - This is the reason I am asking on the forum, since with OUT the receiver, the resolution on the TV displays correctly. WITH IT, it does not.

So to explain, again. I connect my PC to receiver, setup all the display options on the PC. Clone, extend, icons...etc. Change inputs on receiver, change back to PC. And it "reset" itself, and now I have to setup all display options again. It appears like the INPUT for the RECEIVER is turning itself off when not in use, so PC no longer sees it. Then re-initializes.

I am not sure you are even reading what I type before saying the things I say "make no sense". Please read carefully. I said
May have to run PC HDMI separately and hope the ARC function works correctly!
What that means is that I would run HDMI, not to receiver but straight to TV. Separately. And in order to get THAT sound into my receiver, I would have to have ARC working, correct? So it would send the sound FROM MY PC..that goes to MY TV...INTO THE RECEVER INSTEAD. Hence: ARC.

No.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So for everyone "normal remote" means cable STB remote? For me..."normal remote" means the AVR remote. I don't use my Directv remotes cause I don't buy entry level AVR. You haven't said how your "other original" monitor is connected. So yeah...how is your stuff connected.And you are the one who bought an AVR that can't, at all, change resolution. Your connections are fubar, period.I have a Lenovo entertainment PC connected to 12" monitor and my Onkyo NR1008...which feeds a plasma and projector.I have zero, nada, zilch...resolution problems.

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
schan1269 said:
So for everyone "normal remote" means cable STB remote? For me..."normal remote" means the AVR remote. I don't use my Directv remotes cause I don't buy entry level AVR.

You haven't said how your "other original" monitor is connected. So yeah...how is your stuff connected.

And you are the one who bought an AVR that can't, at all, change resolution.

Your connections are fubar, period.

I have a Lenovo entertainment PC connected to 12" monitor and my Onkyo NR1008...which feeds a plasma and projector.

I have zero, nada, zilch...resolution problems.
Not everyone, but most people. And more to the point, people don't want to change the volume on a different remote than what they change the channel with.

DVI.

I don't WANT it to change resolution. And yes, what i PAID FOR can. You missed this part:
And again, I just realize what I was supposed to get from Amazon was an RX-373 not 367.
Fubar. Is that your professional opinion?

Ok? How does that help me?

So in light of this new information of Amazon trying to rip me off with an even worse receiver. I will see if the new entry level receiver fixes any of these issues.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess, so far, is you've messed up the HDCP/handshake so your PC doesn't want to default to 1080P.But what end us the DVI?Both the TV and monitor?The PC?The only model number you've given us is the AVR.

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
You need only ask.

Vid card with 2 DVI ports. One goes to main monitor, one goes to TV(now receiver) over HDMI adapter.

lg 60pa650 is TV. PC is self built.

How do I reset that handshake? Power everything down, plug in, then power on?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did ask with "How is it connected?"Yes, you reset HDCP/handshake by turning off and unplugging from the wall the LG and Yamaha. Power down the PC. Unplug the HDMI from the Yamaha.Wait 15 minutes.Plug the HDMI back into the Yamaha.Plug the LG and Yamaha into the wall. Turn on the Yamaha.Turn on the LG.Power on the PC.

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Got the new receiver. HDMI CEC/SimpLINK now works.

Still issues with the resolution. Screen size just looks smaller on the TV now. Can't see all my desktop space. =/

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Changed video setting on TV to "just scan". Somehow plugging into receiver reset it to 16:9...no idea.

Anyways I got all new problems...sigh.

1) SimpLINK on my LG tv turns off when the TV turns off and it has to reinitialize that connection. Well it takes forever and some tinkering to get it to see my receiver. So, when i turn everything on. I have to control the volume with the receiver remote until I can get that working. I don't want to have to set that every single time I turn on the TV. Suggestions?

2) Hard to explain, but my browser window turns all black. Just the website that I am viewing. And only some of my tabs turn black, others are fine. The whole browser screen from address bar to task bar is black on certain tabs, no way to get it back that I've found except closing and reopening. Never had this issue before when my PC went straight to TV. Anyone seen this before?

3) I can't get it to do it anymore. But when I first opened a video from my PC. Soon as I turned the volume up the receiver SHUT OFF. My thoughts were either a) problem with receiver b) problem with HDMI cable c) problem with that video I used. I did a lot of random things, nothing specific and I can't reproduce it. I'm leaning towards a bad video file. Just thought it odd and dunno if anyone has seen this before too?

4) Another thing similar. Once I turn the TV off. My PC now sees the receiver as the other device, not the TV. So it resets my settings.

Let me also add that the remote thing wouldn't be such a big deal, except that the person who wired my whole basement with surround sound, had their Entertainment Center on the opposite wall. So the receiver is more or less behind me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to ask another question which falls under the prior, twice before asked..."How is this stuff connected?"Which you still have not answered...and until you do...NO-ONE has answers.But, I'll ask this pointed question...and yes, it is relevant....From the AVR to this TV. is it HDMI the entire way, or did they install Cat extenders?

chris777

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Wow...i dunno just wow.... here a summary of our conversations:

Me: I have my PC HDMI into my TV. In order to not run another HDMI cable, I ran the PC one into the receiver. Now the TV has a messed up resolution. The PC is set to clone my main monitor
You: How is the monitor connected?
Me: They are just HDMI->DVI.
You: But how is it CONNECTED?
Me: Didn't I just explain. PC DVI->HDMI receiver in-> HDMI receiver out->TV
YOU, again: You haven't said how your "other original" monitor is connected. So yeah...how is your stuff connected.
ME: DVI.
You...again: HOW IS IT CONNECTED....
Me: Vid card with 2 DVI ports. One goes to main monitor, one goes to TV(now receiver) over HDMI adapter.
You....A...g..a..i..n: "How is this stuff connected?"
Which you still have not answered...and until you do...NO-ONE has answers.

I'm not sure how you got the expert tag, but if you can't at the moment see HOW ITS CONNECTED. I dunno what else to tell you man. Do you need to know how my plumbing in the house is connected? My pool outside? Electrical next door? The issue is the connection from the PC to the receiver and the TV. And I've told you how it's connect 34 times...as noted above.

It is HDMI the entire way. As I explained before in this statement:
PC DVI->HDMI receiver in-> HDMI receiver out->TV
I would have said more, if there was more.

Anyone else have any thoughts, or wish to redeem my first impression of this forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks