1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha RX-V3000 popping and ticking problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Experiencing popping and ticking at the
    very start of a DVD disc in the WARNING
    this DVD is protected by section. No disc audio is present at this time IS
    this normal for this receiver, is it
    harmful to my speakers, Please advise.
    THANK YOU.

2. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello Gerard.

I used to own a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver myself for a couple of months before I upgraded to the Yamaha RX-V3200

model. I don't recall any problems with it personally, but if distortion occurs they could damage your speakers.

3. Michael Halse

I have a friend here in Australia who purchased a rxv3000 and has had similar problems with no-one able to help. He is using a toshiba sd9000 dvd player and whenever there is a changefrom say pcm to 5.1....there is a quite disturbing pop/click from the speakers.

4. Dan A

Dan A Agent

Marty, your just the type of person I'm looking for. I have an older Yamaha receiver and am a big fan of the DSP modes. I want to replace it with a newer Yamaha, and thought the 3200 would probably be my choice. With the 3000s being cleared out, I'm taking one last look at that one too. I'm especially interested in the front effects speakers, although I don't know how effective they are, its the one item not in the 3200. My HT room is not ideal and is one reason I find the DSP modes when tweaked, are very effective at improving my imaging and general listening pleasure. I assume the front effects on the 3000 could take that one step further. Of course the 3000 does not have DPL 2. I guess you thought the trade-off was worth it, or had some other reasons to "upgrade". Do other DSPs offer anything close to DPL 2?

I'm trying to decide which would be more useful, the front effects or DPL 2, or are there other important considerations. The price between the 3000 and the 3200 is not much of a factor since they are within $200-$300 of each other. I know the 3000 is a little heavier--for those who buy HT by the pound.

thanks for any advice.

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Dan, good question it's one that I was wondering about because I wasn't sure if the 3200 had front effects speakers. I have heard pl2 at a friends before, and while it's quite a step up from pl, it's becoming more obsolete IMO, here is why. My digital cable gives me DD 5.1 on two HBO's and all 10 Showtime channels, so it doesn't matter nearly as much that I don't have dpl2 since 5.1 is better anyway. Also, when watching dvd's the same logic applies.

As far as the front effects speakers go, I use them all the time. For music I use 8 channel stereo (purists be damned) and the front effects speakers help make you feel even more surrounded by the music. On movies I use the adventure dsp which used the front effects while still maintaining 5.1 or 6.1 sound. Once again, I feel much more surrounded this way like I'm more a part of the movie. I have a/b both music and movies turning on and off the front effects and for me it makes a big enough difference to be more important than having dpl2. Either receiver would be a good choice, but you could save a lot and get the front effects with the 3000.

By the way, I haven't experienced any popping when the receiver switches from pro logic to 5.1.

6. Marty Lockstead

Dan A:While I owned the 3000 I never had front effect speakers hooked up to it. I didn't have alot of room to work with up at the front of my HT, however, I was very curious to try them out. In terms of DPL II I've only tried using it a couple of times from different sources but it didn't seem to make much of a difference over the standard Pro Logic setting. But according to other threads I've read recently from the other fine folks out there, the DTS NEO:6 setting appeared to make more of a difference over DPL II. On a side note: I'm thinking about buying a Nintendo Gamecube system in which certain games like the Star Wars:Rouge Leader is encoded with DPL II. I'm sure that would make make it sound better than people playing it on a receiver that didn't have the DPL II chip. How much better? I would have to wait to find out I guess.

Back to the 3200 now, a couple considerations for the upgrade was, more watts per channel, and a DTS-ES discrete rear center decoder for those few (but growing) number of ES encoded titles. Hope this helped you out a little more.

7. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Marty - how big of a difference is there between 6.1 discrete and 6.1 matrixed? I have wondered this since this is another difference between our receivers. I have found that I like 6.1 matrix (using the adventure dsp) for movies, but for 5.1 music dvd's or dvd audios using the 5.1 mix it sounds better to turn the rear center off.

8. Marty Lockstead

Sheldon - You may very well be right about turning off the rear center for music and dvd-audio discs since I only listen to cds on the 2 channel stereo setting & am not into dvd audio yet as my progressive-scan Toshiba SD-6200 isn't compatible with that audio format. In terms of movies, I won't go so far as to say that the discrete rear center signal makes a HUGE difference, but on those movies that are encoded that way (even if it's only a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX where the rear center is only ever a matrixed signal to begin with) I personally find it sounds a little better. That on top of the fact that I like to consider myself a bit of an audiophile when it comes to staying on top of the most recent surround configurations for home theater.

9. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Yeah, I kind of guessed that there would be a difference but not a big one. To be honest thought, it does bug me when I put in Gladiator, Cast Away, Seven, or any other movie that has 6.1 and I am only getting a matrixed rear center. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.[​IMG]

10. Jason_Hil

Jason_Hil Auditioning

hearing a pop or clicking sound through your speakers when it changes sound format, may not be a problem. it depends on the reciever. when hardware on recievers auto detect the format to play it in, you will hear a click sound through the speakers. This means it is switching to that mode and shutting down all other processes to eliminate interference. I am not saying your reciever does this, i don't know the specifications or have had experience with it. But my b&k does this, and it is supposed to

11. Michael Halse

Hi Jason, the sound you refer to is within your receiver or pre-amp, they are relays. What i am referring to is a loud pop through the speakers-sometimes when i forget to turn the amp down it will cause the receiver to shut off!

12. Howard Knox

Howard Knox Auditioning

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes. Have a Onkyo 797 A/V receiver. Within the last couple of days, a crackling sound has appeared from only the right rear speaker when using the ProLogic2 modes, specifically the Movie & THX Cinema modes. Tried the DVD, laserdisc & DirecTivo inputs with the same result (only noticably during speaking parts). All other DSPs are o.k. Checked all the other front speakers, center rear and left rear without any crackling.

Any ideas?

Howard KNox

13. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Howard I had center channel popping on my 797 but it was in any mode(that the center channel was activated). It's in the shop now, parts have been ordered. What's up with that?