Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver with HD Upconverting via HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Rock, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Yamaha has just announced a new receiver that has the exact featureset I'm looking for, at a price I can afford.

Ever since seeing the new receiver offerings from DENON that include HDMI switching, I've been patiently waiting for the competition to begin. This new Yamaha not only switches HDMI sources, but also upconverts every video source to HDMI and to 720p/1080i. That's sweet. It's got all the power I'll need also, at 130W/Ch. Information I've been able to gather says that it will be available sometime in October.

I was wondering if anyone has more info...specifically if you're considering getting this one or you know where you'll buy it. If you know of an authorized dealer, feel free to pass the info on. What I've read says the RX-V line is sold in B&M stores exclusively, not over the web.
    (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/FAQs/faq00.htm)

My one question is whether this will drive a pair of 4Ohm speakers. I've got a 7.1 setup with 4Ohm towers for the L and R channels in the front.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chris,
    I'm in the same boat. Here is what I've found out

1. The Ypao auto eq won't calibrate the sub below 60hz. H/K, Denon and Pioneer Elite all do.

2. They are notoriously underpowered. Just check the S&V reviews of Yamaha receivers. They don't meet their specs.

What I don't know:
    1. Will it layer DPLIIX over DTS?

I may wait for the HK640 rumored after CES. I know they are powerful and meet their specs, I know they will layer and also they have Logic 7 and I know they calibrate the sub.

The only question will be the upconversion.

3. Chris Rock

Shane,
    Thanks for bringing up those 2 points. More to think about. I'm not sure they're deal-breakers for me, but good to know.

4. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

So what unit are you considering then???

5. Chris Rock

BTW, I have ordered (and received) the Denon AVR-4306 from Crutchfield.com.

It has all of the features I've been looking for.