Yamaha RX-V2600 heat. Help a noob.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Roger Paris, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Roger Paris

Roger Paris Auditioning

I dont mind saying Im a little concerned at how hot this receiver runs.
    So after searching through various threads about dealing with overly hot components I come asking humbly for help. Specifically: What brand/model
    of fan should I use to cool this beast? Do you place it on top of the receiver?
    Is it the type of fan that goes into computers? I was looking at those online but
    they have pin connectors so how would I power it? Dont say " one of those whisper quite fans". I googled that term and didnt come across anything that fits
    the bill . Is that an actual product name? Links would be most appreciated.

Thank You for any help.

2. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

There are many sources for fans, but on the power issue, you have some choices.

There are small computer like fans that run on 120V and could just be plugged into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. I tried a few of the more quiet models I could find at a couple odd supply and computer shops and found them all to be audible.

You could get a low voltage fan and use a small power supply to run it. You might consider one of those universal power adapters that has a switch allowing you to select multiple voltages so you can lower the fan speed for quieter operation. Another possibility is a computer fan that has a speed adjustment included with it, many do. You could connect these power supplies to the switched outlet on your receiver.

One question I have for you is how much space do you have above your receiver? I always put my receiver on top with feet of space above it, never have any heat issues. I used fans years ago for an in wall setup to vent heat out of the in wall cabinet and used a cheap heater/AC thermostat to turn on the fans on if the temperature in the cabinet went over the preset temperature. I used low voltage (12V) computer type fans and lowered the voltage till I found them almost inaudible, yet still moved a good amount of air.

At home somewhere I have a link to a webpage that has nothing but these type fans, hundreds of them. I'll try and find it when I get home, but i recently re-built my computer so if it's not on it I'll have to look through backups.

3. Roger Paris

Roger Paris Auditioning

There is only about 3 inches clearance above the receiver, the back of the console shelf is open. I could probaly get 5 inches if placed on the top shelf. Its a 3 tier glass monitor console.

4. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Give that a try first and see how it does...

5. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    I did the Radio Shack 4" cooling fan(kind of heavy compared to pc fans)and their generic power cord (120v?). You can also rip up any extension cord and connect it to the fan. I just twisted the wires together and used plenty of electrical tape. Tested it on a power strip with a breaker first so I didn't blow anything up. Then came the problem of where to set it. Till I discover something better, I'm just resting it on the top row of cords connected to the back of the receiver, while cords coming down from another component above it run behind the fan to hold it in place. About 1/2 of the fan hits where I want it to but it works great. The only problem is the noise. 1/2 of the fan is right up against the back of the cabinet/receiver and is noisier than if I was able to scoot the fan back several inches. However, there's just nothing to set it on. So, it's not UL approved, but it does the job.