Yamaha rx-v2500 or pioneer vsx-54tx elite?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TimGregis, Feb 17, 2005.

1. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

I have been in a transition recently and I sold my Sony 5ES and I am now looking for a replacement. Just looking for some feedback on the mentioned receivers, or any other within the same price range.

2. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

I love my Yamaha RX-V2500. Only gripes I have are that manual tuning isn't possible from the remote control for AM/FM, and the backlight on the remote is completely useless for helping you see the button names. Other than that, it sounds great, looks great, has a nice front-panel user interface, and the individual channel parametric EQ and adjustment flexibility is very ince indeed.

I'm using mine with Polk RTi10 fronts, CSi3 center, RTi4 surrounds and rear surrounds.

Greg

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Tim- Are you looking fo a specific feature? The receivers you mention are in the proverbial "lateral" move from the DA5 unless there is a reason.
    Without knowing your reasoning, I would move up to receivers in the above $1500 MSRP to fully realise a noticable upgrade.
    Last years upper-mid grade receivers are still available from Denon ,Pioneer, Yamaha etc., if you look around.
    Trading one nice receiver for another nice receiver may not be absolutly bad but, trading for a nicer receiver is really so much better. Think about it and good luck.

5. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

Jack,

I am actually trying to stay within the $600-$1000 range. I Sold the 5ES because my neighbors did not enjoy my theater [​IMG] and because I have been traveling with work. I am now abotu ready to settle back in for a while and I would really like to at least have a stereo back. I have been checking audiogon weekly for some used Rotel equipment to maybe build a strong stereo system, but I figure stepping into a receiver first would be m best move. I know I will desire multi channel again. I would actually like to find another 5ES but I am not coming across them on ebay or audigon.