Yamaha RX-V2400 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TonyWright, Feb 14, 2004.

1. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

If anyone out there owns a RX-V2400, I have a question that maybe you can help me with.

I want to set mine up so that my wife doesn't have to use the surround sound system to watch a DVD. To attempt this, I set up the DVD player to connect to my receiver via toslink for digital surround for me to use, and I used the zone 2 out jacks to run audio interconnects to my TV. The problem is that I get no sound from the TV when set up this way.

At this point in time, I have no speakers for my surround system (they arrive on Monday) so I don't know whether the toslink hookup is even working. I do see a Digital indicator on the recevier display that makes me think the toslink hookup is working.

Anyway, is there anything I missed or did I set this up incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony Wright

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

which dvd player do you have? Some dvd players will not output both ANALOG and DIGITAL (optical or coax) at the same time. This is true, especially of China-brand players

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

There may be an exception or 2 out there but in general, no receiver converts digital to analog for Zone 2, Zone 3 etc.

Run a pair of analog cables from the DVD to the DVD input of the 2400. That will furnish the analog pathway to the second zone and the receiver will still have it's digital feed that it needs. (Most receivers give priority to the digital connection so it shouldn't be an issue for you when you are ready to fire up the big system.)

4. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Elbert,

I have the Pioneer 563A. I think it sends both analog and digital signals as I am getting analog sound when directly plugged into the TV and I see a digital signal indicator on the receiver via toslink at that point too.

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. What you said makes sense to me. I'll try to run analog cables to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV. Thanks for the help!

5. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Chuck,

Your suggestion worked like a charm. My wife thanks you!

Tony Wright

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Glad to help!