Yamaha RX-V2400 auto-dim display?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MuneebM, Apr 29, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Last night I was watching Big Fish and accidentally hit the "Stereo" button my RX-V2400's remote, thus activating the "Direct Stereo" mode of the receiver. Strangely, this somehow caused the display on the front of the receiver to automatically dim. If/when I pressed any other button, such as volume +/-, the display would light up and then auto-dim again. When I switched my receiver back to "STRAIGHT" mode, it stopped auto-dimming and went back to my original display brightness level!

Has anybody noticed this? Is this a bug or a feature? If its a feature does anybody know how to activate it all the time. I'd love to be able to have auto-dim active all the time! I don't see how "Direct Stereo" mode has anything to do with auto-dimming, so I'm thinking its some sort of bug!

2. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

Basically with Direct mode, its shuts down all unused sources to provide a much better sound quality. I've never owned any Yamaha products but as far as Sony and Denon I know this is feature.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, sounds like this mode simply turns off the display. My Marantz has this selectable - always on, auto as you described, and completely off.

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Ya, I sent an email to a Service Manager at Yamaha Canada and this is how he responded:

I was hoping there was a way to always make the Yamaha display auto-dim, as do the newer H/K AVR-X30 receivers.