What's new

Yamaha RX-V2400 - 4 ohm speakers OK?? (1 Viewer)

JeffMcC

Grip
I just bought a Yamaha RX-V2400, and am planning on purchasing the following for a 7.1 setup (I've just ordered the sub today):

Axiom:
2 M80ti Towers (4 ohm)
2 QS8 Surrounds (6 ohm)
2 M3ti Backs (8 ohm)
1 VP150 center (8 ohm)

SVS:
PSB2 ISD

My quandry is that the M80ti towers are rated at 4 ohm load, and I'm unsure if I'm OK with my receiver to drive 4 ohms without any problems. Also, you can see the surrounds are 6 ohms, the rest 8 ohm.

The RX-V2400 manual does show dynamic power ratings (IHF) for 8/6/4/2 ohms at 155/195/250/330W respectively. But there is nothing in the instructions that specifically states what speaker loads it can safely handle. It does have an option in the set up menu for 8 or 6 ohm speakers.

In my search elsewhere, I located an Audioholics review of the 2400 that recommends NOT setting the receiver to 6 ohm even when driving 4 ohm speakers of moderate efficiency (greater than 89dB SPL). The author says that setting the receiver to 6 ohms reduces the voltage to the power section " which can limit dynamics and reduce overall fidelity". He says to keep it set to 8 ohm min. while driving 4 or 6 ohm speakers and keep it well ventilated and your just fine.

The key question is am I okay running the Axioms with the different loads across the set?? I guess, I'm thinking I'll be fine given the AH review, and that the auto set up will balance the speakers dB levels fine.

Help, Please!!!
:confused:

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
probably have troubles. The thing is, you will lose power, for that receiver can not branch down and double its power(or even close to) for that is what it would need to do to drive lower ohm speakers properly.

Eric

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Providing you give it adequate space to breath and the mains are the only 4 ohm load you should be ok. As with most receivers you'd benefit from adding a true power amp but for now you should be ok.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I have the RX-V2200, and I can vouch for the advice given to leave the switch on 8 Ohm. If I put the switch where it should be for my 6 Ohm speakers, the sound becomes slightly harsh and thin.

Switch it back to 8 Ohm, and it sounds noticeably better.

Plenty of ventilation and you should be fine.

JeffMcC

Grip

Why is this so? Adds headroom and reduces strain on the receiver to better drive the remaining speakers?

Also, I assume you would use the separate amp to drive the main F & L from the pre out on the receiver. Will this pose any problems for YPAO, sound fields, or volume control across the whole speaker set up?

Also, any recos on lower cost amps to consider working with the Yammie (as is the norm I'm already drasticall exceeding the "budget"...)

Thanks,
BurgerJeff

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Add a 2-channel amp to your Yamaha. That'll give you more headroom for the front L/R (and if you buy properly, better sound quality), and alleviate the load on the receiver and its power supply as well, which makes everything work better.

It then becomes an issue of not which amp works better with the Yamaha, but which works best with whatever mains you're using. And it won't affect YPAO at all.

JeffMcC

Grip
Any 2 channel amp recos that won't kill my now defunct budget? What kind of specs should I look for at a minimum (150w,

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm going to say this as someone who uses a Yamaha as a preamp and loves it...

If you can return the Yamaha, put together its price and the budget you have for a 2ch amp, and look for a more powerful 7.1 receiver.

If you're stuck on the Yamaha (and I will agree that it has an excellent lot of features), you'll have to find something with a similar sonic signature so that your front soundstage isn't messed up because the center channel will still be run off the Yamaha. If you're going to go this route, try it all with the Yamaha and see how you like it and if the Yamaha can hack it. There's no sure way to confirm suspicions without trying. It's also a function of how hard you're going to drive the receiver (read: how loud you listen to movies).

But give it a try. Let us know what happens!

JeffMcC

Grip
Yamaha indicates 4 ohm is fine with all Yamaha receivers.
Response below:

Jeff,
In regards to your question on running other that 8ohms speakers on
your Yamaha receiver. All Yamaha receivers support 4ohms and 6ohms
speakers. The recommended setting on the Yamaha receiver should be at
8ohms. Please keep in mind that if you run 4ohms or 6ohms speakers on
your `A` channel you cannot run any speakers on your `B` channel. If
you have any more questions please feel free to contact us.
Sincerely
Ken
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks