What's new

Yamaha RX-V2300 Try-out/Review (1 Viewer)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still in the throws of upgrading my receiver for my home theater. Thus far I've demoed the Marantz Sr7300, and the Yamaha Rx-V2300. Others on the list to perhaps try are the Sony Str-DA4ES (very hard to find in Calgary right now), and the Harman Kardon 325/525.

I think the Marantz I had could have been a defective unit as I wasn't all that impressed with it's performance. I've written of this in another post with some more details, but instead of trying another one, I picked up a Yamaha RX-V2300. It's been running in my HT for 4 days now and seems to perform well. Ample power, clean, clear sound with no hint of clipping or distortion. Very surprised how musical it is and HT performance is very good. The remote is kind of fat and not real ergonomic but works well and controls all my other components thru either pre-programmed functions, learned functions, or a combo of both. I'm only running 5.1 at the moment with this receiver capable of 6.1, but I wonder if I should go 7.1 for future-proofing a little extra and sound quality??

For whatever reason, HK is very expensive here in Calgary/Canada, i.e. AVR 325 MSRP here is $1499Can and the AVR 525 $1799Can. I have done a search or three here on the forum trying to discern the major differences between these two units, is it just the watts per channel or is there some bass management changes??

Another quick question for the Yamaha owners, is there any mode/soundfield to run the receiver in two channel full range only without the sub on? I can do it in a set-up menu, but a soundfield would be easier.

Thanks for any comments or input.

Steve

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
As a Yamaha owner I can tell you that unfortunately the only way I know of is a 2 channel direct I believe I'm not sure though because I've got the 730 so it does not have a processor direct on it. I do know that all modes on mine make use of the sub if it is set in the menu, and since I have a sub/sat system this is fine for me.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I have an RX-V2200 and love it. I don't believe that there is a way to turn off the sub via DSP modes. However I think JeremyFr has the right idea. I assume you want to listen to two channel music from a particular source like a dedicated CD player? Well if that's the case you could use the 6 channel input mode, except you'll only hook up the 2 channels from your CD player. This works because the 6 channel inputs bypass any bass management in the receiver. Unfortunately this trick only works with one source at a time, if you wanted an SACD player hooked up in addition to your CD player, well, you might have a problem there. Make sense?

As an aside, wouldn't it be nice if subs had their own remotes?!? At least for on/off purposes it would be great.

- Mike

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

JeremyFr, I do have the processor direct feature but it just disables the tone controls as far as I know. Other than that, it's the same way with mine, sub is active in all modes.

Mike, I never thought of doing that. I don't have DVD Audio or SACD yet so I may try that just to see what happens. I presume the receiver plays a full range signal to the speakers and they would play as if in the large setting??

PS: Are you guys stuck in the same Arctic front we're in today?? -30 overnight this weekend, good for staying in and messing with the new toy.
;)

Cheers,

Steve

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
hehe I wish no really I dont its a balmy 40 or so here in Washington state:) hehe but yeah that was a good idea using the 6ch in, I was sure on the proc direct but thought I'd offer the idea:) I really wish I'd spent the extra dough on a 1300 or 2300 now adays but at the same time I love my 730 and it does great in my apartment.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, 40F would be much nicer. My parents just returned from the West coast, Vancouver/Burnaby area and said it was beautiful as usual. Flowers and trees blooming, people mowing grass, GOLFING. I gotta wonder why I live here sometimes, winter is just a couple of months too long.

I am enjoying the RX-V2300 so far, barring any glitches or a superior demo from a Sony STR-DA4ES, it just may be a keeper. Glad you like your Yamaha.

Steve

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
PS: Are you guys stuck in the same Arctic front we're in today?? -30 overnight this weekend, good for staying in and messing with the new toy.
I'm in Winnipeg, do you really have to ask?!? ;) Actually, we're not bad today, only -19C. It was worse a few days ago. I too have friends in Vancouver and they always seem to like pointing out how great their weather is. grrrr.... :)

- Mike

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh yes, Winterpeg. Never been, but I have been NE of Dauphin, a wee place called Toutes Aides near St. Rose Du Lac. A good friend of mine moved there last year to raise cattle where the land prices are far more reasonable.

I would hook up my CD player digitally too but it's so old it doesn't have a digital out, just analog. Oh well. Thanks.

Steve

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's now been 3 weeks with the Yamaha RX-V2300 receiver and I think it's a keeper. I haven't made the extra effort to demo a Sony STR-DA4ES as I haven't found one locally and the Denon 2803 isn't here yet(to my knowledge). Back to the Yamaha, it seems to be a fine unit. Plenty of power, excellent reproduction of 5.1 material, and I like the crisp, dynamic sound it has with music. It's not the amp I thought I'd end up with, but it is a pleasant surprise and I would recommend an audition of either this model or the 1300 perhaps. Happy listening to everyone out there.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Matthew,

I read your post and was going to reply as well but figured you'd probably read this one already. There isn't much on the forum about this particular receiver and it was good to see someone else interested in it. Positive affirmation I made I good purchase I guess:D . I probably could have gotten away with the Rx-V1300, as I don't really need the second zone features of the 2300 or it's macro capable remote, but maybe in the future. I got a decent deal on the 2300 also which helped in my decision. It also has the RS232 port going for it.

In any event, I see you've made up your mind to go for the Yamaha. I'll think you'll enjoy it.

Steve

James Gallup

Agent
Just to re-affirm your decisions, I had a 2300 for a short time when I "downgraded" from a DSP-A1 to get the 2nd zone as well as DPLII. I loved it in the short time I had it, but have since "upgrade" to an Aragon/Proceed front end and understandably I'm happy and significantly poorer:) Enjoy the Yamaha:)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
just to toss in my two cents I chose a yamaha rx-v1300 over the marantz sr7300. the marantz had a few extra features... but the yamaha just sounded better to me.

karthikS

Auditioning
Ok Guys, I have 5590 (same as 1300 i guess).

The manual says that the receiver will only output stereo for digital input signals with sampling rate greater than 48 khz. Then what use are the 192khz 24-bit DAC for all channels? We discussed this in another forum, but would like your takes on this.

BTW, the 2300 & 3300 too have the same limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread