Yamaha RX-V2200 & Warranty

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Simmons, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Ryan Simmons

Ryan Simmons Auditioning

I'm trying to find a good quality receiver for under $1000. Etronics has this one (RX-V2200) for $848. The specs look pretty good - 6.1, 100W per channel, DPLII. Does anyone own this? I haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

Also, do you still get the Yamaha warranty when buying from online stores like Etronics?

2. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Good receiver, worth owning! Your local dealer should come within $100 of your target (I've seen other owners mention their dealers sold for $999). No warranty on this unit unless bought from an authorized dealer -- that's why Etronics sells one for an extra $89.

3. MarkHughes

MarkHughes Stunt Coordinator

June issue of Home Theater has a write-up on this model. I have been eyeing it myself. I have the 596, this would be a move upward.

Peace, Love, and Homer Simpson to Y'all!!!

--M

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Thats my dad , by the way. His name is Homer. Yep!! Denon and Yamaha are those picky manufactures. Sony, Onkyo, JVC, Pioneer, HK, Marantz are not as picky. Try JR/6th Ave.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

Ryan:I just received the Sherwood Newcastle R863, a 7.1 Channel Receiver for $824 including shipping from an Authorized Sherwood Dealer. It has DD, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS ES Discrete, DTS Neo6, and DPLII along with 8 preamp outputs. Setup is straightforward and the manual is easy to follow, especially compared to Yamaha and Denon.

6. John Garn

John Garn Agent

Ryan--forget the Yamaha. It has some nice features but is way overpriced--used to be 1200, now 1000 and even that's too high and Yamaha knows it!

Marvins right...if you can afford the 863--forget the rest!

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Dont forget Sony DA5es. Flexibility up the wazzoo for 750-800 with 5 year warranty. Search other threads!

8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

My 2200 will arive from Yamaha in @ 1 week, and having sold more Yamahas (as well as other rcvrs) than most of the other salesman in my company (that's more than several hundred of them), I can tell you that it is an excellent rcvr but indeed is selling better at it's current retail price iof @ $950........most of the guys I work with prefer the sound of the ToP Art amps better than the Elite, onkyo, denon , or the ES...I can say that the AVR3802 from Denon was outselling it when it was priced closer to $1200 .Now, though, it's tough to beat at $950....Also , important to keep in mind that some mfgrs are beggining to suspend sales of parts (for units listing mnfgr dates within the normal warranty period) to repair facilities unless they can produce proof that the unit was purchased from an authorized dealer......Yamaha's normal warranty period is 2 years .....If YAmaha follows this trend then e-tronics may have a hard time getting parts...

9. John Garn

John Garn Agent

Looks to me like Yamaha is trying their best to incur the wrath of the hifi consumer. Their products are sonically mediocre at best--IMHO--like their speakers!!

I hope they continue such consumer unfriendly policies--then the likes of Sherwood, HK et al will be more appreciated.

Funny isn't it. The three or four receiver manufacturers who are making such a fuss over authorized dealers, etc are outside the U.S. to the west. These products are all more marketing hype than they are quality. Let their products be sold in a free market where only their "value" determines their sales---but of course, that's what they're afraid of.......and the lowered profits that go with it!!!

10. MatthewJ S

John, HK has been, for some years now, a line virtually branded to CC AND their quality compared to where it used to be is demonstrative of this...

I just posted some notes on a thread about warranties, authorized vs. non --------

When you don't have a place to listen anymore which mnfgrs will care about sound quality?

11. John Garn

John Garn Agent

Matthew-

My beef is not with honest, fair, informed dealers. My beef is with manufacturers who want their cake and eat it too--they want to hammer the consumer with their n0-warranty

demands JUST so they can pump up their profits.

There are some manufacturers who know how to develop and maintain quality dealership/consumer relations.....Rotel, Paradigm, B&W just to name a few. We may not like it that we cannot purchase these items on the web, but at least these companies are not overtly putting their products on dealers shelves and then covertly using manipulative ways to permit, induce increased sales by allowing dealers to sell out the back door to fly by night people who maintain websites and make their profits with inflated shipping and handling fees!

Another point---there are a lot of common named companies out there professing to be dealers--they are chosen by the manufacturer not because they have an informed, knowledgable sales staff, but because they are big and can buy in quantity. There's one national company, it's initials are CC--they sell Onkyo, Sony, HK, Polk, Infinity, etc. Try to find a knowledgable sales person in any of their stores!! And, they sell on the web too!!

There's lots of hype, BS and greed out there......

And as far as sound quality goes, if a product is REALLY a sonic value, it will sell.....remember NAD? Remember the 3020A preamp? Grado cartridges? Rogers LS3/5a speakers?

If it's GOOD and it's a good value, it WILL sell!

I'm beginning to see Sherwood coming on--they don't have the dealer network that our friends to the West have--if they do well, it will be ONLY because of SONIC value!!

There's an old saying.....if you can't do it right, don't do it! Unfortunately for the consumer, there are 3-4 "foreign" manufacturers who only want to line their pockets and sell their mediocre receivers with hype and worst of all to the the DETRIMENT of the consumer!!

12. MatthewJ S

John,

I think you need to know that the reasons that many of the mass marketer products find their way to the on-line dealers more often than Rotel, Paradigm, B&W, def-tec, etc is that the latter do 3 things to insure their product is unlikely to wind up on-line...HEAVILY RESTRICT the # of dealers and their locations, TRACK SERIAL #S AND HEAVILY POLICE THEIR TRANS-SHIPPED PRODUCT AND CUT OFF DEALERS WHO VIOLATE THEIR AGREEMENTS, AND give their select dealers some of the HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS IN THE INDUSTRY...These companies are merely responding better to their merchants than Yamaha, Sony, and Denon, who have so many big and small retail accounts that they are either less concerned about protecting these dealers profitability or are simply less able to do so.....You are undoubtedly seeing a trend in the HI-END shops to move towards the brands that protect the lines....how will that ultimately play out to the consumer..."Sir I only carry lines that aren't available on-line because to do otherwise would only garauntee that I couldn't make a profit.If you would like you may go to the BIG-BOX-RETAILER who has no staff and nothing hooked-up right to demo, or you can buy lots of equipment on-line without much comparative listening...I believe my mother ordered her acoustic wave machine that way...." So, sayeth the Hi-ender , happy to see the mid-fi guys squeezed out...

13. John Garn

John Garn Agent

Matt-

Your statement about Rotel, B&W etc is exactly on target--these ARE companies that do tightly hold their product, police it etc....which is fine....at least they're not hypocrits. If you want something in their line, there's one way to get it, you know up front what that is, and there's nothing to worry about.....you either buy it or you don't.

But lets not forget my original premise....my contention that certain of the mass marketers are using any overt or covert means to sell their product because they simply want to sell product.....they could care less about the consumer (or their dealers either).....so, in a SUPPOSED attempt to protect their dealers against the on-line market, they would rather hammer the consumer with their no-warranty warnings rather than police their dealers. They are hypocrits and they want their cake and eat it too. I admit that a lot of mid-fi dealers are frustrated trying to make a dealer markup with these products but that is their choice....they know going in that these lines are also being sold on-line so it is up to them to try to convince their customers that their service and knowledge is worth a few extra dollars. And, frankly, I'm not in the least bit worried about the mid-fi arena drying up because this is the area of greatest demand for hifi products and dealers will still stock it, show it and try to sell it because this is what the consumer wants.

I might also reiterate that not all the mass marketers feel it necessary to clobber the consumer this way, as Sony, Sherwood and others sell to a free and open market and honor their warranties!

Again I say, boycott these hypocrits....send a message to them that they're not going to shaft the consumer with their warranty refusals. If they really want to protect their dealers they can!!!....but let's face it, THEY DON'T!!If a consumer is willing to buy a product, then the warranty should come with it. PERIOD!! END OF STORY!!

PS The high-end audio business has always been with limited dealers and a tightly held dealer distribution....it's always been that way. So what's new?

14. MatthewJ S

I think that it's a little less sinister than that ,to be fair. I know that some of these companies have cut off trans-shippers when found and have now begun the task of tracking serial #s (no small feat considering the # of units). Denon has SUPPOSEDLY stopped selling to rep vendors because it was impossible to police them. Polk had to start sueing the unauthorized resellers for "interfeering in a contract" with it's authorized retailers because they were finding it impossible to stop people from trans-shipping , and as a side note these authorized dealers are often selling to the e-tailers at below cost knowing that they have 90- 120 day floats with the mnfgrs and are sometimes going belly-up "stiffing" the mnfgrs...
    not preaching just trying to provide another take on this issue....[​IMG]

15. John Garn

John Garn Agent

Matt--

Whenever you have a mass marketer there's lots of bucks to be made by those who are unethical and greedy. And, frankly, judicious, well-intentioned and limited trans-shipping never hurt anyone particularly when it is done between a couple of local dealers who at times need a single piece or two from a line they typically do not carry. There are times when a consumer will want an entire system with certain brands designated and smaller hifi dealers just can't carry everything.

As far as Denon is concerned, and I speak here from my experiences with them as a dealer, I'll believe it when I see it!

As an added item: Historically the U.S. camera market has always been deluged with grey market items being sold in the U.S. by U.S. based retailers importing identical product from foreign dealers from whom they could make purchases at prices substantially below what that same manufacturer was charging them here in the U.S. This problem occurred because the originating manufacturer was selling product around the world at different prices to different countries under the concept that some countries are poor and others more affluent....sort of a taking from Peter to pay Paul concept. At that time, in order to ensure what products were US warrantied and which were grey market, the camera manufacturer had to track serial numbers and reject for repair any item not with a US warranty. This resulted in a lot of unhappy U.S. consumers who unknowingly purchased grey market items from an unscrupulous dealer and then tried to have something repaired under warranty.

Many of these large camera manufacturers ultimately found that tracking serial numbers for every camera and every lens was far too difficult and, since the problem was created by their own international, variable pricing structure, they now just give a one year warranty on everything regardless of origin. If you have a receipt to prove date of purchase, that's it!!! And, the consumer is treated fairly as a result.

I'm sure that many local, Mom and Pop camera dealers were unhappy over it, but, since local camera stores for the most part all carry the same brands, it really never caused much of a problem in the long run.

16. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Ryan, despite what some might say, Yamaha is a good company and the RX-V2200 is a good receiver. Is it worth the price? Only you can decide that for yourself. I just bought one last night. So far I'm happy with it. I use it to drive a pair paradigm Studio40s (for now). It has good features with good power and has good expandibility. Yamaha is also very reliable and makes a very solid product.
    The only thing I can tell you is to avoid ordering big-ticket items over the net. It is far better to find a good dealer that knows their stuff and to establish some kind of relationship with him or her. Basically make it clear that you are willing to give them your loyalty and they will be willing to give you a good deal. I can say that I bought my 2200 for significantly less then what you quoted e-tronics to be selling it, plus I get my full 2 year warranty! Of course I got a huge discount but I believe that's simply because I deal with the same salesman each time (even though he keeps calling me Tony [​IMG] ).
    The best advice I can give you is to check out your local dealership(s) and actually listen to all the different receivers and THEN decide.
    Good luck!
    - Mike