Yamaha RX-V2200--initial impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekF, Dec 13, 2001.

1. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I've had the Yamaha RX-V2200 for only 24 hours--add in a business trip to the coast and sleep, and that's not even enough time to watch an entire movie! I did, however, have time to set it up, calibrate it with VE and hear my usual test material, so I thought I would post my initial impressions...

J6P disclaimer: I don't pretend to be an audiophile, and my only reference for comparison is a 3yr old Technics surround receiver, the Kenwood 510 and the Denon 2802 (I won't talk about the Kenwood much from here on out, because it's not even in the same class as the 2200 and the 2802). Also, my speakers are sort of a hodge-podge of brands and sizes.

So, here are my thoughts, in brief note form...

Setup

While the Yamaha is far from hard to set up, the Denon wins this hands down. The On Screen Display for the Yamaha isn't half as intuitive as the Denon's. I managed to do the entire initial setup on the Denon without looking in the manual--for the Yammie I had to check to see how many feet in a "Ms".

The 2200 doesn't have separate delays for each speaker--just the center front/back (although I may not have found this in the manual yet...)

Remote

Finally! I've gone through a number of receivers, and I finally have a remote I like! The 2200's remote had factory settings for everything (unlike the other receivers), and the macros/learning functions are great! One of the reasons I got rid of the Denon was the remote. Some might say "you can't listen to the remote", but I compare it to putting the steering wheel, seats etc. from a Ford Pinto into a brand new Ferrari--it would go as fast, but it just wouldn't "feel" right--and the remote comprises my entire interface with the receiver....

Sound:

Very Clear!--I would have to call it effortless--the other three receivers I had seemed to strain a bit when the volume got to room shaking levels--the 2200 just keeps going and going...The best way I can describe it is that, for the first time, every speaker has "punch".

Compared to the Denon, the 2200 sounds as though the treble is turned up just a bit--this must be the "bright" I read about. It's not harsh or anything, just (ugh, I hate this term)...bright.

Negatives:

None really. My wife doesn't like the all-orange display. Also, I would have to give the nod to the Denon for straight 2CH music--but not by much. (the 2200 makes up for it in HT tho).

That's all for now--if anyone's interested I'll do a follow-up after I've watched a few movies...

Cheers,

Derek

2. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I can offer early impressions also. The Denon 3802 was easier to setup without "manual intervention" (pun included). The 2200 has a ton of tweaks that I have not even begun to consider.

I too have recently brought the 2200 into the home for a test drive. I can say that the pairing of DVD players, as well as any external devices, to your receiver is certainly going to affect the overall impression of sound. I returned a Sony player when mated to a Denon 3802 because the pairing was "muffled" (to oversimplify) when compared to the Pioneer player I brought in to replace the Sony. Now that I have the 2200, I can attest that the Pioneer DVD player's audio playback on audio CDs and DVD movies is a tad harsh (aka bright, in a too-trebally manner).

In comparing the 3802 and 2200 for directv playback in DPL2 -- no comparison, the 2200 easily wins this round.

An improvement also exists when playing audio CDs via the CD player thru the 2200 (again, when connected to the Denon the output was "muffled" -- connected via optical cable or RCA analog connections). For my setup, the 2200 performs better than the 3802 from an overall sound perspective via CD output. However, I have to admit that the 3802 offers, IMO, an improved depth of soundstage compared to the 2200 in 2-channel stereo (again, these are early impressions).

Now if I could only marry the two receivers best features together...., we'd REALLY have something.

Edited to add:

My 3802 setup was 7.1 with speakers positioned in accordance with the Denon manual (well, except the speakers are on stands) -- surrounds comprise L+R sides, 2 rears.

The 2200 setup was 6.1 with speakers positioned in accordance with the Yamaha manual -- surrounds comprise 3 speakers, Rear L+C+R all set up along the back wall of my room (15x28).

3. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

I'm curious as to how the Denon and the Yamaha compare in movie listening, since you also changed your surround speaker layout.

-Vic

4. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I need to spend more time with movies, but so far I've checked out Gladiator scenes, Phantom Menace pod race, some Matrix scenes and have a favorable opinion of the 2200's HT performance. I'll be spending much more time starting tomorrow to critically evaluate.

I can say for now that in "plain" DTS ES 6.1 discrete, the opening battle scene in Gladiator was extra frightening.

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Derek:
    Congrats on your new purchase!
    Nice review, just 2 quick points:
    * Remote. I read comments like your quite often and am often surprised. I use the original remote to do the system set up and then away into the closet it goes. Many people use Universal Remotes nowadays. A good remote is both affordable and extremely flexible (macros, etc).
    * Orange display. I can't talk you, your wife, or anyone for that matter, into liking the orange color display. But I can say that it easier for eyes to focus on an orange display than on a blue/green one. This means less eye strain. Good for the eyes! [​IMG]
    Enjoy the receiver.
    Rich B.

6. Dan A

Dan A Agent

Derek, I would like to hear more of your impressions on the 2200. I admit to being a DSP fan and for now am leaning towards this unit over the Denon and Onkyo.

7. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor Auditioning

There is some debate over the 3802/2802 in PLII mode going on over here on our Home Cinema Forum
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...threadid=26545
    Here is what I posted
    "I got the 2802 last week (virtually the same as 3802, 6 power amps instead of 7) and I thought the same. I watched 2 programmes that sounded fine on my old Yamaha Pro-Logic but very thin on the Denon.
    I have full range front L/S Tannoy 611’s, a full range centre Tannoy 609 and a home built 400W sub.
    I also found that increasing the bass to full (+12) had very little effect.
    I tried all possible permutations, crossover, small centre etc but no real improvement. In fact I had the amplifiers on 7 days approval and have taken it back today.
    Not sure where I go from here apart from to back to my yammy and wait to watch T2 in DTS ES"
    Other people have come back with mixed replies
    So can you comment on the RX-V in PLII mode regarding the bass.
    The RX-V1200 has just arrived this week in the UK.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Why would you watch T2 with DPL II? DPL II is really meant more for music sources than for movies.

And T2 uses THX Surround EX and DTS-ES, both are 6.1/7.1 capable. DPL II is only 5.1 capable.

9. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor Auditioning

I would not. What I meant was, as I took the 2802 back I no longer had a DTS ES decoder/amplifier so therefore I would no watch T2 without.

I only wanted to use DPII for TV

10. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Regarding PL2 and bass output: from my hands-on experience, on both the Denon 3802 and Yamaha 2200, when I set all speakers to "LARGE" (vs. "SMALL"), I noticed a significant dropoff in low end emanating from my sub. Set speakers to "SMALL" and the low end emphatically reappears in the room.

11. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What is the street price of a Yamaha 2200 these days? By the way, what speakers are you guys using? Thanks.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Thanks Kevin. I was just wondering because...now you can find the RX-V1 new for $1500-2000...quite a steal at that price IMHO.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob- I've been looking at the 1200 or 2200 as a pre/pro.
    But I think I'm going to wait until Yamaha offers more than a fixed 90 Hz crossover. [​IMG]
    (I even sent them an email, and a real U.S. letter on that, and if ever they'll do a genuine pre/pro...)

15. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

LOL yeah if only they could get that done! As for now, is it possible to buy some controller which will allow you to set variable crossovers for all the speakers?

16. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

the sony tae9000es pre-pro allows you to set different crossover. only thing is it still doesn't have DPL2, analog bypass (can be remedied by buying their tap9000es), and 7.1 surround. don't know about their new products but if you can live without those features, this is a very good pre-pro. (i don't own this product but have heard and demo it for a few times)

17. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Kevin: I noticed on another thread you would not be interested in a receiver containing a fan. Well, you can cross off the 2200 for it has an internal fan (I'd guess the 1200 does also).

18. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

The 1200 has no internal fan!

-JNS

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ahh, so I have to make sure that when the "new" line comes out, I check for the crossover settings *and* the presence of a fan! [​IMG]
    (Although, I'd be willing to bet, that using a receiver as a pre/pro would *probably* keep the temperature down and the fan off. Just thought of that!)
    (I have a Sony TA-E9000ES, and with an external Shure HTS-5300 Dolby Pro Logic processor, get a "6.1" system. Good enough sound for now. But Yamaha's DSP is better. The Sony can do individual crossover settings: 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 on the fronts, center, and rears separately.)
    But man, I'd *still* like to "come back" to Yamaha someday...

20. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Caught this a little late, but thanks for the reviews guys! I was researching this unit for a friend a couple of weeks ago and it's good to see it performs well.