What's new

Yamaha RX-V1500 or RX-V2400 (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new receiver hopefully within the next week or so. I think the RX-V2500 would be great, but I'm not willing to wait. So, assuming that I can find an RX-V2400 with a decent discount, I suspect the costs between the 2400 and 1500 should be reasonably close. The question becomes, is there any value in getting one over the other?

Looking at the Cedia announcement specs, it certainly appears as though the two receivers are pretty close. They both have the RS-232 interface (which I require) and basically the same numbers and kinds of connectors on the back. Power is supposedly equal (but we all know those numbers are meaningless anyway). I don't care about the zone 2/3 functionality.

But there's more to it than marketing specs, of course.

It's also pretty hard to predict what the overall impressions of the 1500 are going to be, but I'll be kicking myself if I pass on the 1500 and it ends up doing a much better job with speaker calibration than the 2400.

Hmmm. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Martin.

AricB

Second Unit
I'm curious of the specs of the 1500 and 2500, do you have a link? I have the 1400 and like it fine, but couldnt say much more without the other specs.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
man I really like the addition of a 3rd component video input on the 2500. I wish more recievers had that many beacuse the typical HT anymore consists of a DVD player, HD receiver and a gaming console. All of which require component video.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to hear the new Yamahas have been announced. Adding a third component on the 2500 was a good idea. I am slightly dissapointed that the Video Bandwidth is still 60Mhz, I thought 100Mhz was suppose to be the standard to pass HDTV without loss but maybe I am wrong about that. The 130 watt amp will be really nice if it's the same amp setup that was used in the RX-V3300 2 years back. It would be nice to see maybe firewire and HDMI or DVI to keep up with the competition, maybe next year.

I was super close to buying a 1400 or 2400 last year but I decided to just wait for the 1500 or 2500s to see what changes were going to be made. I am a big Yamaha fan but, overall these updates don't do anything for me to make me feel the wait was worth it. Although as I said above the third component on the 2500 is a big plus because like Chris Brock said it's not hard anymore to require 3 component inputs.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Have you taken a look at the Pioneer Elite series? I just picked up a 56TXi and let me tell you this is one helluva beast. Here's some of the spec's that may interest you:

Dual Motorola 48bit processors
2x 27,000uf
100mhz component
USB port
RS-232
Advanced MCACC

I've had a Yamaha RX-V1400, then a Marantz SR5400 and now the Pioneer Elite 56TXi. Sound wise the Pioneer blows both the Yama and Marantz away. Well worth the look.

Kevin

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have one question: what's does "2x 27,000uf" mean? It isn't a capacitance rating, is it?!?

Edit: Kevin, I had a look at the receiver. It looks very nice. What is the street price?

Thanks,
Martin.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
I think the street price on the 56txi is close to the street price of the denon 3805 ($1,000 - $1,200) which is also a strong option. I also think the Sherwood Newcastle R-865 & R-965 are strong options at this price point. An Outlaw Audio seperate combo is also a great option.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The more I read about the 56TXi, the more I'm interested. But it does seem to come with a price tag premium over Yamaha... at least up here in Canada. Hmmm.

Martin.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Yes it is the capacitance rating. Alot more than the Yamaha's. At my dealer EHR the sticker price is $1700CDN. I was able to get it for $1500CDN. Its always tougher to make deals on equipment that just came out.

Kevin

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Kevin. W,

Thanks for the help. I kinda followed your suggestion and ended up with the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K. It's the non-Elite version of the VSX-52TX. It's missing only a few features I could live without. It was actually cheaper than the RX-V1400/V1500 receivers, but seems to have a bit more bang for the buck. It will certainly have much more power when all channels are driven.

I was drooling after the 56TXi, but I really couldn't justify the doubled cost.

Anyway, Thanks,
Martin.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I hate to say you should have justified the extra cost even if it meant picking it up on one of those buy now pay later programs. I think down the road you'll be wanting to upgrade sooner than you would have if you had got the 56TXi. Enjoy your new receiver.

Kevin

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Kevin. W,

What features would I want to upgrade for? The only one I can think of is ilink, but that entails another expense for a stupidly expensive dvd player. I think I'll wait until this standard is priced reasonably before worrying about it.

One thing I was concerned about was the superior surround processing chipset on the 56TXi. But so far, I haven't found fault with the lowly 1014TX-K.

The only other thing I can think of as relevant would be the amplification section. I currently run a Bryston for the mains, which reduces the load a bit, and frankly, I'd rather get an external 5 channel Rotel or Anthem over the improvements of the 56TXi. And with the money I've saved, I can pick up a used one at around the same end cost.

But I would be interested to know what motivated you to spend the extra.

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks