What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 Upconverting? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a DVD and a VCR hooked up to my TV via a Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V receiver. The DVD is hooked up through component video and the VCR is hooked up via S-Video (that's the best the VCR will allow). Both are hooked up to different inputs on the TV. I can watch the VCR via the S-Video input or the component video input since both are connected to the rceciver then to the TV.

When I choose to watch the VCR through the component output (remember my VCR does not support component video only S-Video and the lesser composite video), is the Yamaha RX-V1400 actually upconverting the signal from S-Video to component video for the VCR? I do notice a slightly better quality picture using the component video setup.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I hate the term "video upconverting" as it is applied to the process of video switching on AVR's. Really what its doing is "video signal conversion," in that it's translating the S-Video signal to a Y/Pb/Pr signal. Calling it "upconverting" leads you to believe that it is goosing the resolution, colour information, noise level, yadda yadda, which it isn't.

Any percieved improvement in picture is probably because in many TV's the component input bypasses the TV's comb filter, providing a more direct transmission of signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks