What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400, too much stuff? Help! (1 Viewer)

WilliamRP

Auditioning
Real Name
WRP
Help! I'm embarrassed to admit that I am totally overwhelmed and intimidated by my A/V receiver. The instruction manual is not terribly informative and I can't even teach the "learning" remote how to recognize the other components. I'm driving a NHT center channel speaker, Polk Monitor-10's up front and Omega book-shelfs for rear surround. Last week I purchased an Advent AWS 1200 subwoofer that I have not heard a single sound from. For some odd reason the amp is not sending any signal to the sub which I have connected with an RCA plug. The sub is supposed to be activated when it receives a signal, yet I can't find which mode will send such a signal.

Did I get more technology than I'm capable of learning how to use? Perhaps one of you knowledgeable audiophiles can explain to this frustrated idiot just how to use his impressive toy. Hell, I can't even get the on-screen function to display on the television.

I need some serious help!

thanks,
- Bill

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
Don't panic. It is a bit overwhelming to start with. As an absolute must you have to be able to see the amplifier menu on your tv screen otherwise you will not have a clue as to what you are doing.

To do this simply connect a jack to the back of your receiver (one of the monitor out jacks) and then to a video in input on your tv. After you have done that simply use the Yamaha remote. Turn on the receiver power, hit the amp button on the remote until it says amp on the remote display and then hit the MENU button. The display should then appear on your TV screen.

Once you have done the above there are various menus, many of which are self explanatory.

All speaker levels are setable including the subwoofer.

I think that once you access the monitor function on your tv that you will figure out the rest.

Above all, don't panic. Once you toy around with it for a while and get things the way you want them you will be smiling. The RX-V1400 is a very versatile unit that has many settings and features. It just takes a while to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks