Yamaha RX-V1400 & subs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bjarni_b, Sep 30, 2003.

1. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

I am new to this forum (well actually I used to read it all the time back in 1997 or so -- came back when I started thinking of some upgrading!!) -- anyway, long story short, I just bought a Yamaha RX-V1400 and I am hooking up 2 Velodyne HGS-10 subs. My question is (and I wish the strangely worded [​IMG] Yamaha manual would address this more clearly): If I set the crossover frequency on the Yamaha to say 80hz, will this remain in effect when I play 5 channel stereo or just the 'direct' 2-channel stereo or will the bass management be relegated to the subs. The reason I ask is because the velodyne's have a feature called x-direct (I think that's what it is called) that allows you to bypass the subs internal crossover and use the processor (yamaha) crossover instead (so you are not x-ing the signal twice). Its a neat feature, but I want to make sure that when I play just regular stereo music, that the subs don't get sent a full frequency signal (might be painful for my ears and wallet[​IMG] )

Thank you in advance and I appreciate your help. I have not set the unit up yet, but once I do, I will let you guys know if I find any shortcomings (don't think I will though- seems like an excellent receiver).

Thanks
    Bjarni

2. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

uhmmmm anyone!

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

4. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

Thanks Nick! That is exactly what I was looking for! Yes, I did mean 20hz-20khz. Thanks a bunch for your input -- most appreciated![​IMG] [​IMG]

Follow up question: the manual recommends that the sub crossover be set for 80hz. My main speakers are rated down to 34hz (wishful thinking if you ask me) and the surrounds are rated down to 50hz I believe. Should I make the crossover lower (i.e. 60hz) -- I want to avoid 'boomy' bass response with music -- or is 80hz a good crossover point??