Yamaha RX-V1400/RX-V2400, 6 speakers, and Cinema DSP!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MuneebM, Feb 24, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I'm experiencing weird behavior on my Yamaha RX-V2400 powering 6 speakers when I use Cinema DSP or Surround Enhanced with movies (sources: DD, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES). I've calibrated my speakers to 75 dB with DVE in Straight mode. I've set my receiver to "6 spkr", surround back to "SMLx1", and I've connected my single surround back speaker to the surround back left output on the back of my receiver.

I often watch movies in Cinema DSP Movie mode "Adventure" because I like the way it sounds. However, I've always noticed that in any of the Cinema DSP modes or the "Surround Standard/Enhanced" modes, the surround field is very left-centric. I thought there was something wrong with my right ear, so I always turned up the surround right speaker to compensate, higher than the level I had calibrated with DVE. Then, just today, I decided to see what would happen if I calibrated with the receiver set to the "Adventure" mode, and I think I may have found a bug in the Yamaha! [​IMG] When DVE emits the test tone to the surround back speaker, test tone can be heard in the surrond left and right speakers, which is as expected because that's what Cinema DSP does to broaden the surround field. However, the test tone that is heard in the surround left speaker is much louder than that heard in the surround right speaker. Furthermore, when the test tone is emitted to the surround left speaker, a little bit of the tone can be heard in the single surround back speaker, but when test tone is emitted to the surround right speaker, there is no "residual" test tone in the surround back speaker! This most definitely seems like a problem to me!

My theory is that the Cinema DSP was not properly engineered for a 6.1 speaker set up, even though I've clearly set up the AVR for 6 speakers (single surround back speaker). I believe my surround field is more left-centric because I have a single surround back speaker and its connected to the surround back left output on the back of the receiver, which is what the manual says to do with a 6.1 set up. I am rather disappointed by this anomaly because I can now only watch movies in "Straight" mode, with which the surround field sounds fine, since its calibrated. My other option is to calibrate my system in "Adventure" mode to compensate for the anomaly, but I really don't wanna do that because it won't be an honest, native signal calibration. [​IMG]

Anybody have any ideas if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is a way to fix this? I am going to call Yamaha tomorrow to adress this issue unless someone on the forum can come up with a brilliant idea that will solve the problem.

2. GregV

GregV Auditioning

Hey, the sounds like a huge bummer...Please fill me in on the fix from Yamaha...I have a 1400.

Thanks.

3. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I just got off the phone with the service manager at Yamaha Canada. Service was excellent and I was so glad to be able to talk to someone who actually understood what I was saying (SPL, 6.1/7.1, DD EX, DTS ES, etc.).

The service manager said that he doesn't think its a problem, but simply that the Cinema DSP was designed to simulate real-world venues and that certain modes will be slightly imbalanced (he used the Rock Concert mode as an example and noted that for example the venue that was used may have had bleachers on one side of the concert which would create an imbalance in the sound). He asked me to try my test tone experiment with the other DSP modes, i.e. "General", "Spectacle", "Sci-Fi", etc. and if I still noticed the same left-centric behavior I should send him an email directly with a thorough description of my problem and that he would forward it on to the engineers to find out if its a bug in the DSP processors.

He also suggested that I could send my receiver in and they could check it out for me, but I am reluctant to do this as I am pretty certain there's nothing wrong with my receiver specifically and that it may possibly be a general problem with all RX-V1400/RX-V2400 receivers. Can anyone else on this forum experiment with their receivers and 6 speakers to confirm this please?