What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 or V2400? (1 Viewer)

RobertRich

Grip
I am new to the site, and new to home theaters. I have a 19' X 13' family room with a Samsung 30" widescreen HDTV (good enough for me!) I am interested in adding a surround sound system and have been talked out of the "Home Theater in a box" solutions (which all sound like crap anyway.

I have been auditioning receivers and have heard the Denon AVR 2803, the Yamaha RV-V1400 and V2400, and one of the Pioneer Elite models. I settled on one of the Yamaha models because they seem easier to use and because of their ability to use a microphone in your seating position to optimize the sound. The only choice left is between the 1400 and 2400. The main advantage to the 2400, I understand, is that it adds the ability to add video zones, which the 1400 can't do, and the 2400 has slightly more power per channel (120 vs. 110). It seems the 1400 can do everything I need it to do--I don't plan video zones, but would consider audio zones in the future--which the 1400 does.

Is there any reason to consider the 2400 when the 1400 does most of what I need?

By the way, I've already chosen speakers--I'm planning on the Definitive ProCinema 60 set. I auditioned them yesterday, and they are INCREDIBLE for their size!

Thanks for your help.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not certain whether the 1400 has video up conversion -- something the 2400 has, which I like (I bought a 2400 about a month ago).

The up-conversion makes switching between DVD, Cable box, etc. very easy. My last receiver required hitting at least two button versus one.

In addition, check out the differences with the remote. I believe the 2400 has a better/different remote. I cannot attest to the remote of the 1400, but now with the 2400 I am actually down to using just one remote for: receiver, cable box, DVD, and TV. Albeit, once in a while I'll use the other components native remote for certain seldom used functions. Generally, though, I only need one remote and I like it. In addition, my wife uses it with ease -- okay that's has it's pluses and minus.

Again I don't know the difference between the 1400 and the 2400; however, the set-up and calibration is relatively easy with the 2400. I'm new to HT. This is my first set up with 5 speakers. However, I bought a Radio Shack SPL meter and have made several changes to my system in the last month, e.g. moving subwoofer, changing out center speaker, changing cables (the new blue tooth from Better Cables showed a noticeable improvement with my center speaker)which required recalibration each time. I've can recalibrate my speakers rather quickly now.

All the modes are generally a waste so don't pay extra for that.

Net net: I like the 2400 (not to say I would dislike the 1400).

Now I'm waiting for SVS to start pre-orders on their PB2-Ultras -- I cannot wait.

Roger

dannyG

Agent
Robert, It sounds like you have already made up your mind about the 1400. I listened to the 1400 and 2400 side by side and could not tell a difference in sound. So to me spending an extra $200 for the 2400 and getting only 10 watts more per chanel and a few upgrades was not worth it.
The 2803 you mentioned is a good receiver as well. I replaced it with the 1400.

Dan

RobertRich

Grip
Thanks for the replies so far!

I think the two sound the same, too. I'm trying to determine whether the feature set is worth paying another $200. I'll have to check out the remotes the next time I'm in the store before I make my decision.

Other comments?

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Check out 6ave.com and see if you can get the 1400 for 529.06 or the 2400 for 699.06... Just ask for the 1300 (to get the free upgrade to 1400) or the 2300 (for free upgrade to the 2400).

I was going to get the 2400 but I decided I'd rather put that ~$250 towards something else... either receivers (IMO) are great receivers. ...Especially when teamed up with B&W speakers & SVS subwoofer! wooooo hoooo!

andrew.s

Auditioning
To all those who are wondering, the V1400 also has the Composite to S-Video and Composite or S-Video to Component up-conversion. And I just bought one too from 6ave. There is one thing I'm unsure about though, I've heard there is a difference between an authorized reseller and an authorized dealer. Anyone have any clues?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just read at the AVS Forum that 6AVe has pulled the Yamaha receivers from their website. I cannot confirm this. Apparently, people that have already ordered the Yamahas will receive their shipment. I took too long trying to decide and didn't get an order in. 6Ave is definitely an authorized dealer for Yamaha, but not sure they were given "permission" from Yamaha to sell the 1400 or 2400 on the internet, like they did for the 1300 and 2300.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
If you like Yamaha then you should also consider the older RX-V3300 which is being discounted heavily everywhere. The 'Good Guys' have lowered their price to $899 and I have seen them for as low as $750 shipped on-line.

andrew.s

Auditioning
You have to call 6ave and ask for the V1300. They should tell you that the upgrade to the V1400 is free, for a price of $529 plus 6 cents shipping. I ordered it two days ago and just received it today. However, you may be on hold for up to 15 minutes to place the order if they're busy.

Eric Tobias

Agent
i just tried to order a 1400 or 2400 they said they were sold out of both and unknown timing when they would get more

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks