Yamaha RX-V1400 or Dennon AVR-2803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cory, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Cory

Cory Auditioning

Which one?

So far I'm leaning toward the Yamaha RX-V1400, what do you think? I really like the YPAO feature of the Yamaha, yet I like the features of the Dennon as well. Hmmmm...

I can get the Yamaha for $602 shipped and the Dennon for $594 shipped. So far I've read 2 short customer reviews of the Dennon and 12 customer reviews of the Yamaha.

Please give me the pros and cons of each, thanks so much!!

2. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat as you but, there is nowhere with in 4 hours of me to listen to a Yamaha. I use Polk RTI70's and 38's with a CSi40.

3. Cory

Cory Auditioning

Yeah, me neither. I used to live near a Hi-Fi Buys (which is a subsidiary of Tweeter), but now I live 775 miles from one! I can hear a Dennon, but that's it.

I heard my friend's Yamaha this weekend, he's got a lower $300-400 model. His imaging is better than my Kenwood 5.1 (older model). So that's kind-of why I'm leaning toward the Yamaha.

I'm just not sure, that's why I posted here!

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have the RXV-1400 on my Boston VR-950's. I think you would love it. Boston's and the yamaha go great together. Incredible imaging. I love mine.

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I would opt for the Yammie too. I am biased as I have always owned yammie but I did audition the Denon 2802 and Yammie 1200 quite a bit. I then kicked it up a notch and compared the 3802 and 2200. The Yammie was still the more Dynamic of the two IMHO. I also have boston speakers (had the 965's now have the vr3's) and Yammie and Boston is a great match. I think Yamaha will bring out those Lynfield tweeters more so than the Denon. Denon seems to be a little laid back for my tastes. By the way...What do you think of your vr920 center? I have one I am auditioning and am looking for as many opinions I can get [​IMG].

6. Cory

Cory Auditioning

I REALLY LOVE my VR920 center!

Basically when I bought the system, my salesman said that your center is the most important speaker in your set. So I opted for the best I could get my hands on at the time, and I have not regretted the decision since. I have had it for two years now and it sounds as good as the day I bought it. I run my center pretty hard and it has zero distortion and has held up to everything I can dish out to it...for as good as my receiver is anyway. It is crystal clear, very precise and very accurate! My wattage is 100X5 and it handles that power flawlessly! I definitely recommend the VR920, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd buy it again.

BTW, thanks so everyone for the advice.

7. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    I recently demo'd Bostons VR1s on Yamaha 1400 and Denon 1803 - not an equal comparison, but that's what tweeter had hooked up.

I thought the Yamaha matched very nicely with these speakers - esp rich detail in the midrange. The Denon was warmer (of course) and noticably less full, but I (and the sales guy) attributed this to being the step down model.

The 1400 is "this year's model" while the 2803 is last year's. There are some threads wondering when the new Denon models will be out. I think the 1400 is 7.1 capable, while the denon is 6.1. Saw another comment in this forum concerned about the low "actual" watts per channel on the yamaha.

The tweeter guy generally perfered the yamaha, saying it really set the bar up a notch.

Sound and Vision has a nice in-depth review of the 2803 (not sure which month, check their website under Equipment | more).

You probably will enjoy either receiver, might really depend on what you listen to/watch.

8. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

so wait does the yamaha put low outage on 7 channel . How about on 5 channel does is out put lower wattage. This si a big concern. Do you think on 5.1 will it have a bigger output than the denon 2803

9. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

How would the yamaha rxv1400 fit with Paradigm Mini Monitors.. Will it be a better fit than the Denon 2803

10. ZachT

ZachT Auditioning

Get the v1400. end

11. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

My vote's for the RX-V1400 or better yet the RX-V2400 (for a couple of hundred more you get more power and an RS232 port). I own the 2400 and I'm extremely happy with my decision!

12. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    I'm curious (and obviously out of it technically) what the RS232 port could be used for...

13. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The RS-232 is to do software upgrades. I talked to a few guys at my shop, one guy has owned yamaha for along time, and he said they have never put out a software upgrade. I opted for the rxv-1400. I love mine very much. But as far as power goes, I may be getting into the monster power amps soon. So I wont need to worry about power.