Yamaha RX-V1400 DPL IIx: two surround back speakers or one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RickardL, Nov 10, 2003.

1. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

Oct 30, 2000
    I just got a Yamaha RX-V1400 through the door!
    And it has DPL IIx, there is a sticker on the front
    which says "Dolby Digital EX Prologic IIx Upgraded".
    Maybe I should add that I live in Europe...
    Question is: should I go for two back surround speakers
    or is one sufficient? It is getting kind of crowded
    behind the couch.
    I must say that I haven't researched this area too much yet...
  2. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Mar 11, 2003
    Two, even if the signal being sent to them is identical. For every other situation I always recommend against having two speakers reproducing the same material, but in the case of a rear center it is necessary.

Human ears have a difficult time locating sounds that come from directly behind us on our axis of symmetry. You often experience a reversal of the sound, where the brain interprets the sound from a single rear center as coming from in front of us. Using two speakers provides each ear with a solid cue as to its location, and our brain combines the two identical sounds and places the image behind you.

It is the same concept as using a phantom center channel. In both cases, you produce some unwanted comb filtering distortion as a result of two identical images producing interference and lobing, which is one reason I'm not a fan of phantom center channels, but in the case of a rear center the advantage outweighs the disadvantages.
  3. RussellB

RussellB Extra

Oct 29, 2003
    will we in the usa get to see this feature? i am holding out on buying a receiver until i know for sure.
  4. JohnRockets

JohnRockets Auditioning

Oct 17, 2003
    Supposedly, yes. According to my correspondence with Yamaha support, and reading other's correspondence on forums the US stock will eventually be replaced / updated (by ~Dec) with units that include PLIIx.. I have been told that the updated models will have a small "PLIIx updated" sticker on the box.

For those people that bought the 1400 or 2400 already Yamaha is supporting an upgrade via shipment to facility in California, and back. You pay to ship it to them, they pay to ship it back, and no charge for the upgrade itself.

For more information go to Yamaha's site and send an email to their support.

Hope this helps ya.