What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 DPL IIx: not working for 5.1 Audio? (1 Viewer)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I don't know, I must be missing something but I can't get
DPL IIx to kick in for 5.1 Audio Sources.

With 2.0 audio source, I can toggle through:
- Prologic Surround Standard
- Prologic Surround Enhanced
- Prologic IIx Movie
- Prologic IIx Music
- Prologic IIx Game
- DTS Neo: 6 Cinema
- DTS Neo: 6 Music

With 5.1 audio source, I can toggle through:
- Dolby Digital Surround Standard
- Dolby Digital Surround Enhanced

The toggeling is done with the same Dolby/DTS-button on
the remote. The audio is from the same DVD, Aliens, with one 2.0 track and one 5.1 track. Optical is only transport.

Am I just lost in the Dolby-jungle or have Yamaha missed
something in their firmware upgrade??

I thought the whole idea with IIx was "processes native
stereo and 5.1-channel content to produce 6.1 or 7.1 output channels."

Note: SB speakers connected and configured with YPAO.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, maybe the new Prologic II, the prologic II I have is for making 2 channel Music and Prologic I, be more on par with 5.1 digital.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
This is amazing...or rather not.

With my DTS Saving Private Ryan, I get a better surround
sound with 2 surrounds and 2 stereo back channels from the
2.0 dolby surround track with DPL IIx than from the 5.1 DTS track!
I should be able to activate the DPL IIx functionality
for 5.1 DD and DTS as well, shouldn't I?

Maybe I should add that the Manual does not mention
DPL IIx at all, it was written before Yamaha decided
to include DPL IIx.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Richard_B,

I bought the receiver in Sweden last week, got it on Monday this week.
The Canadian Yamaha site, as well as the Swedish one, mentions
DPLIIx for the RX-V1400/V2400 but nothing in the Swedish
or Canadian manual about it, just vanilla DPLII.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
I have a V2400 with out the PLIIx and have asked about this before and never got an answer, everyone has been hyping this up and not really seeming to know what it does.

My understanding was the the IIx with make the 2 channel dolby surround into 7.1 the same way that ProLogic made it into 5.1 so to speak.

Now as for making you 5.1 digital into 7.1 you can do that buy hitting the EX button on your remote and changing it from Auto to On, this will out out sound to the 6th and 7th channel even though it doesn't have EX coding. I have used it and it works better on some movies then others.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I thought the whole idea with IIx was "processes native stereo and 5.1-channel content to produce 6.1 or 7.1 output channels."
Nope. All Dolby Pro Logic processing is done with two-channel analog signals. It is incompatible with Dolby Digital, which is an encoded digital signal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
Hey it looks like I may be right actually, make sure you mark that done. That it only works on 2 channel sources is kinda what I though, and if that is the case I wont waste the time and trouble sending in my V2400 to get upgraded.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Wayne,

I think you are wrong, I think DPLIIx could be applied
to any 5.1 audio source, even DTS.
Check out these things from the DPLIIx FAQ at dolby.com:

12. Q: Will audio signals encoded in Dolby Digital EX provide better performance than standard 5.1 encoding software when they are decoded into 7.1 channels by Dolby Pro Logic IIx? In other words, will it sound better?
A: Probably, but not necessarily. The accuracy and precision of the Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoding process results in a highly natural and involving surround sound experience from stereo and 5.1 content, as well as from content encoded in Dolby Digital EX. The end result is heavily dependent on the nature of the original soundtrack mix.

13. Q: Will Dolby Pro Logic IIx process DTS 5.1 content, and is it compatible with DTS-ES discrete and matrix-encoded software?
A: Processing of DTS content is an available option. While Dolby Pro Logic IIx technology is fully compatible with DTS and DTS-ES, whether a product supports them is, of course, dependent upon DSP capability and hardware design.

Also, a 2.0 Dolby Digital track is also "digital"
as well as a 5.1 Dolby Digital track... :)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
BrentG, I think you might send it in...

Problem solved: a very helpful person from Dolby Laboratories
apparently knew how the Yamaha worked and supplied this:

The solution may lie in some buttons at the bottom of the remote underneath a sliding panel. They are labeled"+" and "-".

Pressing the EX/ES button should toggle through: OFF > Auto: > [PLIIx Movie || PLIIx Music || ES/EX || EX]

While the unit is in one of the [PLIIx Movie || PLIIx Music || ES/EX || EX] states, pressing the "+" or "-" buttons should switch between PLII/EX modes.

Comment:
It wasn't a "+" / "-" button under a sliding panel, it was the "channel +/-" or right/left arrows that did it!!! Yeah!
I can now toggle between PLIIx Movie/PLIIx Music for DD 5.1 and
DTS 5.1 sources to produce 7.1 sound!!

I only wished Yamaha had included an addendum to the manual with
this information, I never thought of pushing any +/- in combination
with the "ES/EX" button!
Edit: now having discovered how it works, I see that
there is actually a "" marker appearing when pressing
the "ES/EX" button indicating that you can push forward
or backward button to toggle things in the other "direction"...

John S

Senior HTF Member
I may have to play with the idea some as well. I didn't know that.

Interesting about your saving Private Ryan example.

My Titanic Laserdisc of all things, come'n across the optical connection, provides the most vivid multi-channel DTS. I have no other laserdiscs that can do anything remotely close to what I am getting off of the Titanic disc. By all accounts, Laserdisc players are not suppsed to be able to get any multi-channel digital off anything but a specialy modified player that will pull the digital multi-channel off of one of the analog channels before modulation. Just an FYI more than anything.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>By all accounts, Laserdisc players are not supposed to be able to get any multi-channel digital off anything but a specially modified player that will pull the digital multi-channel off of one of the analog channels before modulation. <

John,

that is true for Dolby Digital. However, DTS on laserdisk is recorded in the track-space normally used by PCM, so the optical and coax PCM outputs carry the DTS signal to your decoder.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks