Yamaha RX-V1400 and strange smell

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeLievre, May 21, 2004.

1. MikeLievre

MikeLievre Auditioning

Greetings,

I've recently purchased an Yamaha RX-V1400 and being my first receiver I don't know if what I'm experiencing is normal or not.

After the receiver has been on for a short while it emits a strange smell. Not quite an electronic burnt out smell that you might experience when you fry a PC power supply or the like, but maybe an electronic 'warm' smell. It's certainly noticeable. The receiver is sitting on a table top at the moment (read not an enclosed space) so I don't think overheating should be a problem. I'm currently running Polk RM6700's with 14ga wire (if that makes a difference at all).

Is this normal with a new receiver (or the Yamaha specifically)? Is it something that might go away with some sort of break in period? Or perhaps it shouldn't be emitting any smell at all?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Can you smell it when you are just in the room, or from your listening position? Because I know what you mean by the “warm” electronics smell. If I stick my noise over my receiver I can smell it a bit, its not a bad smell necessarily, it just smells like well… electronics. I can only smell mine if I get really close to it though, not just by walking in the room. If yours is the same way and it does not smell burnt in any way that I would assume its normal. But maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can offer some insight. BTW I have a Sony receiver.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I've noticed the smell in the past as the break-in period was in progress. Specifically, I noticed it after the installation of my H/K receiver, but not my Yamaha receiver.

It's not specific to any manufacturer of receiver. I've noticed a similar smell with my computer components and computer monitors in the past. I would give it a week of use and if the smell doesn't go away by then, you might want to contact Yamaha's support.

My guess is that there might just be some type of solvent or chemical on one of the chips which is causing the smell to begin with.

4. MikeLievre

MikeLievre Auditioning

Unfortunately I smell it from my listening position - that's what had me wondering if it was normal or not.

Wayne you might be right in that it could very well be something burning off with the heat generated by the receiver. That would certainly explain what I'm smelling.

Hopefully it will diminish with use. I've been extremely busy lately and haven't had a chance to use it much, but I think I'll throw in some back ground music and just let it play often and give it a good work out for the next week and see what happens.

If anyone else has experienced anything similar please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well, you can just leave it on. That'll generate enough heat on its own without having to make noise.

6. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha RX-V1400 smell.

I purchased an RX-V1400 about 3 months ago and did not notice any smell whatsoever. You may have an electronic part that is frying.

7. Willy_Loo

Willy_Loo Auditioning

I just bought a RX-V2400 and started using it yesterday. I did noticed a faint smell, but didn't give it too much thought. I will be concerned if the smell becomes stronger.

8. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

When I bought my Yamaha RX-V995 it had a strong odor when running it. It did go away with use though. I think it has to do more with the transformers and the material that's used on the coils.

If it gets to bad or doesn't stop, I'd exchange it.

Have a good one.

9. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Willy: What do you shell out for the 2400? Was it from an Authorized Dealer?

Thanks, John

10. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my HTR-5790 I did notice a smell for a few days, same with my Sony KP51WS510 RPTV. It passed in a few days, though. To me, it was just that good ol' new electronics smell that I love so much!!

11. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

I love the smell of new electronics in the morning.

12. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Smells like victory.