Yamaha RX-V1400 and heat

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bjarni_b, Oct 21, 2003.

1. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

Quick question -- I finally installed my new Yamaha RX-V1400 -- I LOVE IT -- sounds great and the YPAO was pretty amazing. Definitely made a difference. The componenent video upconversion is also excellent.

My question is this: I have installed the unit in my entertainment center and there is unfortunately only about one(1) inch of clearance between the top of the Yamaha and a glass shelf above it. There is plenty of clearance on the sides and the back is not enclosed in the cabinet (it sticks out the back. I am wondering if there is enough space for the heat to dissipate. The unit seems to get fairly hot (and the glass shelf above the receiver gets pretty hot too). I want to make sure that I do not damage the unit. Am I right to assume that if the thermal protection does not kick in then I am fine??

thanks for your help -- don't want to fry this thing!!

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

A receiver might last forever if it never got hot, over time heat browns circuit boards and drys out components...over a long period of time sonic characteristics can even change as the specs of these components do. You might get away with 1" of clearance but its not likely going to last nearly as long as it would if you kept it on the top shelf or in open air.
    I'd say look for another place to put it or find a new rack.

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

If you are going to keep it in that tight space, I would recommend buying some quiet computer fans and a 12V powersupply. You can get the powersupply from walmart for $10 (it is the kind with adjustable voltages and adapters for cell phones, etc).

The fans would probably have to be purchased online. The ones Radioshack sells are loud. You can find some 30dB fans that move a lot of air. They should be about $10 each.

I have one powersupply and three fans in my entertainment center. All of my equipment runs cool with the fans on.

4. Colin.C

Colin.C Auditioning

Bjarni,

I was in a very similar situation to yourself in that I had a VCR sitting on top of my RX-V1400 with only 1" of clearance. However, after a few hours of use, it would automatically shut itself down which leads me to think that there is in fact an in built heat protection circuit.

Once I removed the VCR, the problem disappeared. I have noticed that the RX-V1400 generates a lot of heat so ventilation is crucial. Another point to note is that given that heat rises, the top vents tend to be the most important area to keep clear (the side and rear vents on my machine don't even get warm!) I would try to reposition your receiver if possible to give it the space that it deserves/demands!

5. bjarni_b

bjarni_b Auditioning

Thanks for the input folks -- since I am not able to change the layout of the cabinet that I am using (can't make any more room) -- I am going to install two computer fans as kevitra suggested -- one will blow air into the cabinet and the other to blow air out to creat airflow inside the cabinet--- hopefully this will work out -- thanks again!![​IMG]

6. Don*K

Don*K Stunt Coordinator

bjarni_b!

How did the fans work out? I just set up my RX-V1400 in a rather large entertainment center, but it seems to get pretty hot. I want to knock out the entire back panel, but that wouldn't go over well with my wife. There's very little room in the back. So far, no shutdowns, but it's also new. I have about 6 inches of clearance on top though.

Don

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Six inches of clearance will be plenty. I assume there is a shelf above the 1400? What you can do is install a fan just below that shelf (i.e., at the top of the “compartment” the 1400 is in). The fan would be mounted to the back panel and be configured to exhaust the hot air out of the cabinet (no need to install another blowing cold air in). This is how I have mine done, and it works great at keeping temperatures down in the cabinet.

The only downside, when you start force-moving air, dust becomes an issue.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

9. Don*K

Don*K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Wayne. The back of the entertainment center remains closed, but I'm keeping the six inches above the receiver. I'm also trying to educate my family to keep the doors to the entertainment center open as much as possible. Seems to be working great so far. Thanks for the input.

Don