What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 and Adcom Amp (1 Viewer)

bjarni_b

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V1400 and was planning to use an existing Adcom GFA-545 (100W x 2) to power the Front L/R speakers. I was reading on the forum that you need to be careful that the gain on the amp is the same as the gain on the Yamaha amp section or else there will be a difference in relative volume of the front speakers compared to the rest of the system.

Is this a factor I should consider or does the YPAO negate this as it will probably adjust the gain/volume of each speaker to properly balance them to each other?

Also, does anyone think that there will be a sonic difference between the amp section of the Adcom vs. the Yamaha that would make a noticeable difference? (Good or bad)

I have always been a fan of seperates (this is why I have the Adcom amp), however, I bought the Yamaha for the processing power, YPAO and the componenet upconversion. Should I leave the Adcom out of the equation altoghether?? Also, the main reason I bought Adcom originally is because my mains are old a/d/s speakers (don't seem to be around much anymore-- still see their awesome car amps though) which are 4ohm and the Adcom handles the load pretty well.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am setting up the system tonight and am not sure if I should just eliminate the Adcom and use only the Yamaha to power the speakers!

Thanks in advance -- sorry for the long post!
Bjarni

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Given the mains are 4 ohms, I would use the Adcom. Not sure about the yammie calibration, but you should give it a try. I have a 545II on a HK520, powering some 8 ohm mains, and didn't hear much of a difference. I will be going to 4 ohm mains soon, and expect the Adcom handles that better than the receiver.

JohnS

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I have always been a fan of seperates (this is why I have the Adcom amp), however, I bought the Yamaha for the processing power, YPAO and the componenet upconversion.
That's exactly why I bought the Yamaha 1400 too. :emoji_thumbsup: It makes a fantastic prepro but to answer your question, the Adcom will give you better results than the amps in your yammy. Just connect the adcom to the 1400 and set the gain on the amps to max and let the YPAO handle the rest. The YPAO is a tremendous feature for that price and it worked wonders in my room. Good Luck!

bjarni_b

Auditioning
Thanks for the reassurance! My preference was to stay with the Adcom for the mains-- I think I will do that! Thanks again for the feedback -- I can't wait to hook up the Yamaha!!

thx
bjarni

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks