What's new

Yamaha RX-V1200 Auto decode question (1 Viewer)

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Hello All,

I've owned this receiver for a week and a half and really like it. I upgraded from a Sony DE945. The one thing I miss from the Sony is the Auto Format Decode function. The Yamaha has an auto mode but when the signal is DD 2.0 it seems the only way to get it is to manually hit the Stereo Effect button on the remote. This turns off/on any pro logic processing and I believe is the only way to get true stereo. Otherwise, there seems to always be Pro Logic I/II activated. For music, these options are fine because I can leave it set to stereo and it will remember my last setting. For movies, it means that it's not truly an auto mode. Am I right on this? Is there something I'm missing or a different setting to get auto 2.0 selection. Thanks.

Dave

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
I own 3 Yamaha units, the latest being the rx-v1200 and yes, that seems to be the case. I'm guessing you have your DVD input set to auto. 2 channels will be decoded in prologic II, not stereo. I personally like this cause I like prologic II so much. In my older units, you'd get reular prologic.

-Vic

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Dave: Most manufacturers do it the way your new Yamaha does. The surround mode stays "surround". The Auto term refers to auto signal detect between PCM, DD and DTS.

From my experience, Sony's AFD mode is the exception, not the rule. (FWIW, my Kenwood 509 plays DD 2.0 as stereo. My Denon 3802 in my main setup plays in DPL II for DD 2.0. So, I have one of each...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks