What's new

Yamaha RX-V1000 Issues (2 Viewers)

Satya

Auditioning
Hi all,
I am a new entrant to the HT world and have been benifitted tremendously by reading all the stuff available on this forum. I am having a great time with my Yamaha RX-V1000 but have some unresolved and perplexing questions. I am sure I will find the solution to these questions with feedback from all of you;

1.I am listening to my old collection of audio cassettes thru my Cassette deck ( Yamaha KX-602) connected to the RXV1000 thru MD/Tape input. I do not listen to music at loud volume but volume generally hits 30 db level ( with Effect Off or with any DSP program) at my prefered listening level(This is also the level at which I enjoy movies on DVDs on Dolby digital and I feel at this level the sound is sufficient to wake my neighboiiurs up!). But when I listen to the CD,s, I need to hit only 45 db level for a similar sound pressure level. Is this normal or is there something wrong with this MD/Tape section of my receiver?

2. Also I am not very happy with the quality of the sound from Audio Cassetes compared to when I had the Cassette deck connected to my Yamaha Stereo Amplifier RX-401. The bass sounds ok but I am very disappointed with the treble response (frequencies more than say 12,000 Hertz) even with the treble boosted to maximum level. I have tried all DSP programs and 'Effect Off' position and it is the same. Please tell me does the receiever has a inferior amplifier in the MD/Tape section?

3. Which DSP program is more suited to listen to stereo music? I have so far liked 6Ch Stereo mode but not very sure if I need to alter the DSP parameters..pl advise.

Speakers :
Main : JBL LX 55
Centre : JBL S-Centre
Surround : LBL N-26

chella

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you switch the inputs (CD to the tape input on the receiver and tape to the CD) and see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then there is nothing wrong with the pre-amp section on the Tape/MD.

When you write "30 db level", I assume you mean volume indicator. CDs have a much higher dynamic range than tape - that could be a simple explanation why you need to keep the volume higher to reach your "preferred" level. But the question is does this affect the quality in anyway? Often, different CDs and tapes are recorded at different volume levels.
-C-

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
CD especially when connected digitally via coax or toslink the reciever will yield a much louder signal than if using a tapedeck connected through normal stereo analog connections on the reciever. I hook my Minidisc up the same way throgh the MD/Tape on my Yamaha and I have to turn it way up to get a decent amount of volume from it. it just has to do with quality of input and dynamic range of the source.

Satya

Auditioning
Thanks Chella & Jeremy for your response!

Jeremy, I think your statement makes lot of sense. I do have my DVD player ( I play CD thru this)connected to the Receiver thru a toslink optical connector which is digital and the cassette deck is connected to the receiver thru analog RCA cable.

Chella, I am not very sure whether I can safely swap the inputs of CD and MD/Tape as the pre amp output level of both the componets( in the range of 150 to 250 mv) may not be compatible with each other....but sure I will check the specs and try that tonight!

Satya

Satya

Auditioning
Dear Chella,
Yes, I meant 30 db as the volume indicator from the reciever. I agree with you that the dynamic range of CD is higher but even I am confused why/how the quality of sound output is lower for deck! May be Yamaha did not focus much on this section of the pre amp circuit as I get excellent sound quality from CD/DVD...Any other RX-V1000 owners have some other view?

Satya

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.