What's new

Yamaha RX-V1000 Calibration (1 Viewer)

Keith RS

Auditioning
I am new to this whole "Home Theater thing." I've seen threads about calibrating speakers and setting crossovers at such & such Hz. Is this something my RX-V1000 is capable of or this something a feature that is only available on newer receivers. I've gone throught the on screen set up of the receiver and don't recall anything about calibration or crossover sets.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Calibrating the speakers is done with the "Levels" settings, in your receiver's setup menus. Might also want to set the distances, for the speakers. Ideally, for calibrating, you should have an SPL meter and HT Setup disc. SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter can be gotten at Radio Shack. Analog is about $40 and the digital is about $50. Most people prefer the analog meter. Sound & Vision's Setup disc can be bought at Best Buy. There's also Avia and DVE (Digital Video Essentials).

Set the speakers to "Small", and all the LFE (bass) signal will go to a subwoofer. Set the speakers to "Large", and the LFE signal will be distributed to the speakers. If you have decent woofers in your speakers, and no subwoofer, set the speakers to "Large".

Not familiar with your receiver, so not sure where you'll find the crossover settings. There may be something in the Levels area, to set it.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Most recievers have a fixed crossover - I think about 120 hz. You should turn your subwoofer crossover way up to let the reciever take care of this.

Only the higher-end units tend to let you set the crossover.

Make sure you check out the Basic forum where there is a FAQ/Primer that can help you with all the adjustments. You only want to worry about level adjustments AFTER you have positioned the speakers properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks