What's new

Yamaha RX-V1 vs RX-3000 vs RX-V2200 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Schonfeld

Auditioning
First off what do you guys think of these receivers? I am considering getting the RX-V1 or the new RX-V2200. The V1 has the 2 front effect channels and Brown Burr DACs for all channels while the 2000 has PL2 and DTS-ES/Discrete and DTS NEO:6. Are these additional features worth getting? There is also the RX-V3000 which is has the same features as the V1 except the Brown Burr DACs are only for the Left, Center, and Right Channels.

So as you can see I am completely confused. I can get a really deal on the V1 or 3000 with Yamaha’s new remote. I also hear there will be new versions of the two next year, should I wait??

Any insight would be great

Thanks

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in wait and see mode, but only because I'm not ready to purchase yet.

The V1 is an amazing unit.

In the past few days, a discussion cropped up about the Yamaha front effect channels. I use these on my ancient DSP-A3090. I love them! The only reason I am not considering the 1200 or 2200 is because they don't have the front effect channels.

I assume Yamaha will be updating their top of the line receivers (V1 & 3000). We'll see a 3200 to replace the 3000 for a guess? Anyone know what they'll call the new V1? :)

Regarding the BurrBrowns or lack thereof in the 3000, I'm planning on ultimately going to monoblocks for all of my 6. channels, so I haven't been using that as a deciding factor.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Check out this thread for info on the RX-V1 replacement:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=RXV1
I have an RX-V1 and don't plan to replace it for quite some time. My understanding is they tend to use better amps and other components in their high end units. If the new features don't matter to you too much, I'd go with the RX-V1. I understand you can get them for $2k, perhaps less now, and you get the RAV-2000. That makes it a hell of a deal. And if someone makes an external processor for DPL2 and the newer DTS formats, you'll be set. That's what I'm hoping for at some point.
Definitely consider the RAV when making your decision. With the extended IR sets they have, having one of the pronto based remotes is really cool. I really love all the power that thing has. I've customized mine so I can select a device and it will change the inputs on the TV and receiver, power things on, and change the volume all with one button.

Jeff_Johnson

Auditioning
I became a Yamaha junkie in the 1987 while stationed in Japan. I had a component system which included the Yamaha DSP-100, I believe it sold as the DSP-1 here stateside, and have been hooked ever sense (a little ancient history). I just replaced my V-2092 with the RX-V1 and am extremely happy. Keep in mind that the differences between the two are massive. The V-3000 appears to have remedied many of the 2092’s shortcomings. A look at Yamaha's web page shows slightly more power and five more sound field modes for the RX-V1. On the surface this starts looking like a case of diminishing return on your dollar. There is something the RX-V1 has that the 2092 did not and that is the ability to individually customize each sound field. I don't know if the 3000 has this ability but you can download the manuals at Yamaha.com to find out. This ability to customize can really make up for poor room acoustics and if you're into it, it is a lot of fun to play with. Concerning the two front effects speakers, I can't see doing without them, they make that much difference.

Concerning the BurrBrowns, again at Yamaha.com Yamaha throws a lot of technical goodies at the consumer. I seriously question as to whether the differences between the two above receivers can be heard on anything less than a reference system in a specially set up listening room.

Because this is the end of the model year, stores should be offering good deals so use that to your advantage. I don’t know if next year’s models are going to be worth the extra money. Your call.

My recommendation is to compare the two receivers spec. for spec. and let your wallet speak during your decision. I personally think that either one would be an excellent choice. Good luck!

My set-up: Klipsch KLF-30 mains, KLF-C7 center, KSP-S6 surrounds, KSB S-1 front effects, M&K MX-125 MK II sub, Mitsubishi 65” Diamond Series Proj. TV, Phillips Q50 Prog. Scan DVD, 14.5’ by 22’ A/V room.

For you audio history buffs, when listening pure audio, I use a dbx 10/20 equalizer (again, ancient history)

I would go with the RX-V1. That's the receiver I replaced my old DSP-A1 with - and the main reason was because of the extra 2 front speakers for that little extra 'presence' that the others lack. My RX-V1 recently had the center channel quit on me - so it's off for repair. The store gave me a new RX-V1200 for a loaner until mine's fixed. While I have experimented with the Pro Logic II and the Neo 6.1 etc (they are neat and seem to make a difference over Pro Logic) I find that I really miss those extra 2 front speakers. I'm quite surprised at the difference I have noted by not having the front 'presence' available since I couldn't really notice it there before with the DSP-A1 and the RX-V1. But after 4 years of having it there I can really tell when it's NOT-- While the new features of the lower models are neat - for me I have to go with the RX-V1. If you've never really heard/experienced the extra front sound field then the others may be more to your liking. I would take a good, ahrd listen at the RX-V1 and as many of the others as you can find - use music and a variety of dvd movies - and see if you can notice the extra fullness and completeness that the front surround field can give you...

Jim Thompson

Agent
I might have to go against the trend here.I have a 2095.Last Dec. my 2095 motorized volume started to act up.I took it in and as it was just out of warrenty,it was in for awhile ,my salesman wanted to get Yamaha to make an exception due to other circumstances.They gave me a RXV1 to use while the 2095 was in Limbo.I had the RXV1 for quite awhile and enjoyed it.I did notice some definate subtle improvements in certain areas,but in the end decided there wasn't enough there.Keep in mind how much this puppy used to cost.There has been a huge drop in the price and now you get the RAV2000 remote.Which for me is moot,I prefer my Pronto.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd probably wait to see what Yamaha comes out with.However,I'm sure the price will jump back up there if they intend to compete with the Denon 5800.

I was considering going for the Denon 4802,but I too enjoy the front effects and am waiting to see what Yamaha comes out with to replace the 3000 and RXV1.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
I recently replaced my RX-V1000 with the RX-V2200. I only replaced it because my brother was hounding me for my 1000. So far I am quite happy with the 2200. The DPLII is a nice feature that works well with standard (2 channel) stereo feeds. I wouldn't say it is as good as DD5.1 or DTS, but if you have some older DVD's or "classic" VHS movies that are only 2 channel, the DPLII is nice to have. Also as a side note, if you are a console gamer and have or intend to get a Nintendo GameCube, DPLII is the format that Nintendo has adopted for its next generation console.
I know that it is hard to judge or figure out when to buy, but I was speaking to a friend of mine who sells Yamaha and he was commenting to me that the difficulty with being a Yamaha dealer is that when they introduce a new model they drastically reduce the price of the "older" model. This is quite apparant with the current prices available on the RX-V1. Not so long ago it was twice the price! Great opportunity to pick one up now, but he gets lots of complaints from his customers that bought just before the price drop. So If you can wait...todays "latest and greatest" will be available for....
:D
Phil

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
FYI in the classified section, someone in NJ is selling both factory sealed RXV-1 and RAV2000 with original receipt from an authorized dealer for $1650.

JaleelK

Second Unit
"Regarding the BurrBrowns or lack thereof in the 3000, I'm planning on ultimately going to monoblocks for all of my 6. channels, so I haven't been using that as a deciding factor."

Why are you using monoblocks, sonic benefit do you hope to obtain by using mono block as oppose to the internal amps?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Bill and Jaleel, I am kinda confused by your posts. What has Burr-Brown got to do with either monoblocks or the V1s internal amps?

Aren't Burr-Brown simply a brand of DACs?

JaleelK

Second Unit
Bill and Jaleel, I am kinda confused by your posts. What has Burr-Brown got to do with either monoblocks or the V1s internal amps?
Yes, Burr-Brown is a brand of DACS. I was asking bill about using monoblocks, why. I think he might of went off subject a bit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
What Jaleel Is trying to ask is why you are thinking of adding external amps when I'm pretty sure he will tell you that blind tests reveal that they sound the same as any external amp and they don't have any sound and basically external amps are a waste at that point because they don't sound any different. Am I in the ballpark there Jaleel?

Let's just say I've yet to see a post from someone stating they heard no sonic benefit from adding external amps whether they be mono or multi-channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks