What's new

Yamaha RX-V1, too many inputs? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I'm in the process of changing from a Sony DA777ES to a Yamaha RX-V1. The Yamaha has MANY more options as far as connections are concerned. Here's what I've got.
Yamaha RX-V1
S-Video connections galore, as well as Coax & optical for CATV / SAT.
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 "digital cable box"
LOL. I can't wait to get directivo! It has standard coax, component RCA's, as well as S-Video and digital coax audio.
Sony KP-61V80 rear projection
5 video inputs, with 2 S-Video inputs.
2 sets of outputs, TV out & video out.
Sony DVP-S7700 DVD
Component Video, S-Video, Optical, & Coax Digital.
OK, what to do now with all these options? Dump the RG-6 & composite Video hookups? Use S-Video & RCA's for the audio? Also, should EVERYTHING other than the RG-6 going in to the cablebox go in to the Yamaha?
KNOW THIS, I have 2 young childern that I don't want anywhere near the rack! They know how to turn on the TV, the cable box is set to turn on to Nickelodeon, and they don't need the receiver to hear the TV. I need to keep it that way 4 sure.
Also, I want to get my Time Warner 5.1 options as well.
It was showing "Dolby Digital Auto" on the Yamahas readout last night during the Sopranos. When I set it to no effect, it said Digital 2.0. I thought that it was broadcast in 5.1? Does anyone know if I need to use some sort of a mode to acheive DD 5.1 with digital cable?
Panel Views
http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/pane...X-V1/RX-V1.htm
Thanks for being here!
Patrick
:b

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>When I set it to no effect, it said Digital 2.0.<

Patrick,

when you turn the "effects off" on the Yammie, it defaults to 2-channel stereo regrdless of the number of input channels.

Marty

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

No offense intended, but spend some time reading the manual.

I've had the DSP-A1 for awhile, and it is to your advantage to learn what you own. ;^)

In order to maximixe whatever integrated, or separate piece you have in-house, one must do the homework. Don't rely on net input to short-cut your understanding of your gear.

Crack the manual....... it's the only way.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the "input" on the "inputs", lol. I DID crack the manual. The MAIN issue now is that the HBO's, etc, ARE offering 5.1 one some material. The problem is MY Time Warner (San Antonio) is NOT supporting the 5.1. This is according to them. I was doing everything right as far as hookups went. It doesn't say in the manual if the RX-V1 had to be on to watch TV, ie some sort of passive pass through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks