Yamaha RX-V1 + Separate Amp Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Chan, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan Auditioning

My equipment are as follows:

Yamaha RX-V1 as the main unit. Currently using the internal 110W amps each to drive the 2 Rear Sides, and 2 Rear Back Channels. I am using an Accupase Amplifier (120Watts) to drive my Front Channels and using a bridged Hafler (120 Watts) to drive the Center Channel. The Front Effects Channel are drive by the Yamaha Internal 35Watt Amplifier.

This is what I have for Speakers:
    Front: B&W CDM 7NT
    Center: B&W CDM CNT
    Rear Sides: B&W 303
    Rear Back : B&W 303
    Front Effects: B&W 303
    Subwoofer: Mirage BPS 400

Obviously, I have done the best in terms of timber matching my speaker array.. I couldn't afford 3 sets of the CDM SNT for the Front Effects, Rear Sides and Rear Back. Given the size constraints of hanging the speakers. I went with the 303 as they are better in terms of sizing/weight to hang then the 601s and the 303 at that time already had the NT tweeter to more closely match with my CDM NTs while the 601 did not.

My main concern is the big mess of amplifiers.. I would like to clean it up with just one brand of amp to get more consistency and coherence for amplifier sound.. I am thinking of the Rotel 6 Channel 1066. 60Watts X 6, bridge able to 150 Watts X 3. I am thinking of bridging one channel to drive the center at 150watts and using the remaining 4 channels to drive the B&W303s in the side are rear location. I will eventually get a Rotel 1080 (200Watt X 2) or 1090 (380Watt X 2)to drive the Front Channels..

Do you think the 60Watts from the Rotel is better then the 110 Watts from the Yamaha in terms of driving the B&W303?? Will I lose dynamic headroom by going down in power?? I read from a lot of forum members that have successfully improved the sound of their receivers by going to an external amp but it seems like nobody has gone to an external amplifier and get less power. I know there is a Rotel 1075 that does 120watt X 5 that will do the same thing as I am planning. Are the B&W 303s worth it to spend that much money on amplification??? I am considering this option as I would like to add the outlaw ICBM to play with the cross-over frequiencs. Please help!

2. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,
    I have an RX-V1 and am a firm believer in the potential benefits of external amplification (I use McIntosh MC-7100s). However, having listened to the amp section of my RX-V1 for awhile after I first purchased it, I have to note that this unit's amps are very good. If you are trying to reduce the "big mess of amplifiers", the easiest solution would be to use the RX-V1's internal amps. But I think you want external amps, and I appreciate that you would need them to use with an ICBM, and so I will simply point out that the best solution would be one that provides equal power to all channels (with the exception of the front effects channels, which really do not need that much). With 200 or 380 watts/channel in the front, I think that you might lose some dynamics using 60 watts per channel for the rear-side and rear-back speakers on material with very active surround channels.
    Why not get a single 6-channel amp with 100-200 watts per channel for your front left, front right, front center, rear side left, rear side right, and rear back speakers?
    Cliff

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Andrew,

4. Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan Auditioning

Thankx for the advice.
    My main dilemma is this.. Is it worth spending about $1500 or so for the Rotel 1075 120Watt X 5 to drive the inexpensive B&W303?? The money spent on the amplification seems to be too much for these entry level B&Ws..
    I am currently using the ACCUPHASE as a feel they sound better then the Yamaha Internal Amp and I am also rerouting the main channels amps to drive my rear back surrounds at 110watt each. This means that my 4 B&W303 get 110watts each for surround duty. (Did not want to run the Rear Back Surrounds in series/parallel in fear of the Yamaha not liking the low impedance, this is why I am connecting my rear back preout in to a splitter and feeding it into the main amp-ins)I did this also to stress the amp less and get extra headroom for the surround channels.. Guess all 3 of us are thinking in the same lines..
    What is a good 3 channel amp?? I don't see any good ones anymore.. I only have a budget in the ROTEL range.. No Classe, Bryston, Krell, Proceed for me... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator