What's new

Yamaha RX-V1 or Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX or ??? (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
Here's what a guy at Ultimate Electronics told me:

Yamaha makes musical instruments -- Pianos, Violins, Synthesizers, Drums, Guitars, Saxophones, Trumpets etc. etc. -- They're the only company that makes receivers AND musical instruments, (motorcycles, boat engines etc. aside), so the sound engineers that make the receivers have the resources, listen to, record, and know what instruments and music are supposed to sound like and make their "Natural Sound" receivers based on what they've learned. This was the gist of what he told me.

The sales person that told me this is himself in a band (sax, harmonica) and purchased a Yamaha receiver for himself. I've a RX-V1300 with B&W 602 s3's as mains, and do not find this combination to be "bright" at all, although it's "supposed to be".

Having said all that, I still plan on going to separates in the not too distant future -- Rotel amp, then pre/pro...

FWIW,

Geoff

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
The pioneer elite receivers are awesome recievers ... I used to have the vsx29tx and loved it to death ... it died unfortunately right before i got my new connosieur set-up ... i got the receiver from a friend for a good price lol .... i only got to enjoy it for a year lol ...

I think receivers need as much demoing as speakers do ... I think the best receiver is what sounds best with your speakers .... MCACC is an amazing feature to have on your receiver

I felt with the speakers that I HAVE and the tonal characteristics of the rxv 3300 go well together thats why im pretty set on this piece ....

If I were to suggest it to someone shopping and in response to a post Id say the 3300 is an awesome value .... this years formats and last years flagship power at second tier price! lol ....

its been a while since ive dealt with the elite models ..... but bottom line they are a serious consideration ..... Ive demoed them a couple times but not as extensively as the yamaha ...... Its not fair for me to choose for you .... try the upcoming 3803 denon its amazing as well ......

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Good post Mark. I think the Elite Receivers are beautiful looking, and have some nice features. One thing I have a hard time finding on these forums are negative comments regarding Yamaha reliability, bugs, shutdowns, dropouts, etc. I'm pretty dang impressed with the RXV-3300 on paper at least. I would not EVEN lump a Denon 3803 in with a RX-V1, RXV-3300, or an Elite 45. The 3802 isn't in the same league "soundwise" IMO.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Wow!

These are interesting comments. Well being a 45 TX owner - I certainly am going to give you a favorable review. Don't dismiss the MCACC feature out of hand. Its incredible and IMHO one of the best things going. It has a 5 channel equilizer that the MCACC adjusts for all channels and you should see some of the different reading I get as this compensates for the room acoustics. You won't be able to see the or hear the results of this unless you take it home. Most salesmen don't know how to adjust it or I think even use it in the store.

I and the people I've talked with have not been able to improve on the settings. And beleive me I've tried. The Pioneer is not having any problems that we know of. Brae had a shutdown issue that he finally traced to a bad new Paradigm speaker.

It also has a bass peak limiter that adjusts the max volume of your sub. It completely does away with adjusting your sub because of different dynamics of the source material. I don't know if the yammie has this but I will never be without it again. I won't consider another reciever unless it has this feature.

Now to the Yamaha.........I know your getting good reviews and I won't dispute that. I never seriously considered the Yamaha and I'm not saying its not good. But, I'm a serious musician and trumpet player and I wouldn't put a yammie trumpet to my lips. Can't stand them. So I have a bias......I also ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and I never liked a yammie there not saying again that some people didn't swear by them. Some people even like their frigin trumpets.........

Good Luck!

Mike

KeithW

Auditioning
While you didn't mention video, it is possible you might need to use the receiver for video switching. Make sure you check the bandwidth as high definition video requires much higher. I have had both pioneer elite products and yamaha and have been very pleased with both, no disappointments. I didn't have the pioneer receiver you asked about but have had and still use a yamaha DSP-A1 amp and the RX-V1. I use mine for dvd - both music and video - and I use it for switching high def sources into my plasma tv.
I don't like some of the DSP choices but I simply don't use those selections. I have found it very helpful to be able to delay sound (which is part of what the dsp portion does) as there is a video delay in processing some high bandwidth pictures through the plasma. It helps to sync when there are problems. The build quality is good and provides much power. My setup includes front mains, lfe, rear, center and two powered subs.
I would have no hesitation in buying the yamaha again and, in fact did, after taking a major lightning hit and frying about $8000 in equipment even though using good grounding rods. I have since added a tripplite for better protection and insurance.

I would audition both and pick the one most suited to my needs now and in the coming months. Both are very good.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I have the RX-Z1(I 1s bought a demo RX-V1 & liked it so much I returned it & forked over the extra cash for the Z1). I love this receiver. The funny thing is Im not big on factory dsp modes, but Yamaha's won me over. I went out & bought a rear center & 2 front effects channel speakers & am loving the yamaha dsp modes for movies. The front effects channels really add depth to any movie.

Eric_RP

Auditioning
"I would not EVEN lump a Denon 3803 in with a RX-V1, RXV-3300, or an Elite 45. The 3802 isn't in the same league "soundwise" IMO."

I wouldn't say the 3802 is not in the same league as the others listed – it’s all personal preference. I agree with Mark, the 3803 should also be considered. The new 3803 uses very nice processors throughout, such as the Analog Devices 32-bit Hammerhead SHARC and dual Burr-Brown DACs on each analog input (for a total of 16). And they have a high quality audio mode, "Pure Direct", where the video processing and digital processing circuitry are turned off when using an analog input and where they use 4 of the Burr-Brown DACs per channel to achieve better quality 2-channel performance. The 3803, from its spec sheet, seems like a sweet receiver that can compete with almost all of the hi-end receivers in terms of sheer processing power and if hooked to a good external 5 channel amp would give even the Flagship Denon 5803 a run for its money, IMO.

Also, the 3803 upconverts composite to S-video, and/or composite and S-video to component, enabling all video sources to be switched through the component video outs and reportedly has a component video bandwidth of 100Mhz.

Just my $.02,

Eric

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Wow....

Thank you all(David, Patrick, Ted, Geoff, Mark, Mike, Keith, Ted and Eric, sorry if I missed anyone) for your continued inputs.

I am taking all opinions under advisement, and will be sure to demo any receiver before I decide.

I have also been told the same thing regarding Yamaha and the fact that they are a musical instrument company. Like all big multi-nationals, I admit though that they cannot do everything the best. Obviously, some don't like their trumpets, but I know that their grand pianos are well regarded. Like Sony, they make some great products and some not so great. I do believe that Yamaha makes a very reliable A/V receiver though. I too have not read much about problems with quality control from them. I have heard some first hand horror stories about Denon's service. I am not familiar with any Pioneer problems in that regard.

I will be eventually using the receiver for component HD switching and will ensure that the unit I select has enough bandwith.

I guess what I am saying is that everyone has posted valuable information that I have found to be very useful and I appreciate all the input. I will consider all of it when I make my decision.

Thanks again to all those who have posted and keep them coming....

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks