What's new

Yamaha RX-V1 or Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX or ??? (1 Viewer)

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice, as the title asks, I am considering picking up a used RX-V1 from a friend for use in a front projection theater in my basement. It has also been suggested that I check out the VSX-43TX (similar cost).

I am open to suggestions, and will be using the projector for mainly DVD and satellite. However I am also a gamer and will be playing a fair bit of PS2 and Gamecube, (hoping to pick up a XBOX soon). I am a little concerned that the V1 is lacking DPLII (desired for Cubeing) but not overly so.

I am runnning a RX-V2200 upstairs and have absolutely no complainants about it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Phil

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
My brother sells both units and I have a fair bit of experiance with both and while they both sound good I would submit these reasons for picking the Yamaha:
more impact/output/bass/dynamic range.|||
all the parameter selection and set-up that tweeks the DSP programs..||||||
RELIABILITY..|||||
$0.02
I'm sure the Elite owners can provide reasons for preferring the Elite........

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff and Ted,

Thanks for you input....that makes two for Yamaha....anyone else?

Phil

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Try the NEW RXV3300 which i may be acquiring for myself, take a look inside .... if it looks familiar then youre right ... it looks exactly the same as the RXV1! and has all the current processing/surround formats ...

I work for the goodguys and the northwestern rep says the rxv3300 has the exact same amp section as the rxv1 ...

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to consider with the Yammy is that they usually have really bright sound. If you like that kind of sound then there is no problem. The Pioneer on the other hand is, as of what I've heard, a more warm sounding receiver. So if you like a more warm sounding presentation go for the Pioneer.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly look at the 3300. It sounds promising. Any idea on the MSRP?

Luis,

I have not found the current line of Yammies "bright", but I have also never heard the Panny...

Thanks for your input guys.

Phil

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha in the past two years have steered well away from the bright sounds associated to their receivers .... very very neutral sound to them, i think which is most prevalent with this years models ...

Very RICH sound is what Ive noticed with their new models ....

When I bought my Pioneer VSX-45TX about a month ago, I had listened to the 45TX and a new Yamaha 2300. Both units were in 2 channel mode playing an older classical music CD that the salesman had. Both units sounded similar in terms of a fairly neutral sound. Interestingly, the Yamaha sounded just a little more 3 dimensional to me, as far as instruments sounding both closer and farther away between the 2 speakers. (The speakers were B&W 601S3's.)

I picked the 45TX, because I always listen in 5.1 (now 7.1) mode, even with TV, and I wanted the adjustment features of the MCACC, which is very nice (especially the EQ).

Ron

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all that have replied,
I do not have an easy task ahead....I think I'll have to find an ELITE dealer to give the 45TX a listen to.
At this point though I am leaning toward the RX-V1 or the new RX-V3300. I would love have the Z1 but I didn't win the lottery last night :)
Phil

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have the RX-V1 and gaming has become a fav for my children with the V1 on. There is always a dsp that will totally immerse you into the game. I have moved through several Yammies in the past and always have no hesitation at recommending them. The V1 is an exceptional piece of equipment.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Ronald, thanks for having the courage for speaking up as the only Elite advocate. I'll add to that and say that these past four weeks have been fun learning the receiver, that's the VSX-45TX Elite receiver, and enjoying the automated set routine (MCACC), especially since I am a newbie to the audio world.

I feel the Elite is a good match for my Paradigm Studio Reference setup and I am finding a newborn interest in my for music. Yesterday, I even watch the Superbit edition of the 5th Element at reference level and heard things I didn't realize were in the movie, and this is one I've watched many times before.

Although I understand there are a great many Yammie advocates out there, I am equally surprised that no one denounced either of the posters original candidates. I've also heard some include other labels into the coparison mix, but as with each speaker+receiver/pre-pro+room combination, each one of those combinations will produce different results.

No, it is not as simple as simply selecting an integrated receiver or pre-pro and let's hope the poster realizes this.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a new Yamaha RX-V1 a few weeks ago, & it all came together last night. I picked up my new B&W CDM 9NT's, CDM CNT, & SVS 2531PC+ yesterday. I put in my Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS & it gave me goosebumps! NO hint of brightness whatsoever. I was able to run all 5 channels to 0 with no hint of distortion! Unfreaking real! My older Yamaha from a few years back DID sound a little 'tinny' with music. Not so on the V-1. The 5.1 playback is as precise as anything I have heard. I paid $1031 shipped from an Authorized Dealer. The remote does SUCK, as most do. I bought a Yamaha RAV-2000 from feebay for $205. It's just like a Pronto TSU2000, but has ALL the Yamaha commands pre-programmed. Do the Yamaha, it's built like a TANK.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Brae,

I appreciate your comments and will take a serious look at the 45TX. I never intended or want this to be a flame thread of "mine is better than yours...". I am only seeking opinions of those who have knowledge or experience in comparing these two fine receivers. I welcome any suggestions that I should consider before making my decision on which new receiver I invest in.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

"it is not as simple as simply selecting an integrated receiver or pre-pro and let's hope the poster realizes this.
------------------------------------------------------------

I am aware of this, just soliciting the informed opinions of other HTF members.

Patrick,

Thanks for your input, another satisfied V1 owner. What "earlier" Yammies did you own? Sounds like you got a nice set up, enjoy....

Phil

David Judah

Screenwriter
I compared the Yamaha 1300 & 2300 to the 45 TX and preferred the Pioneer. It does make it tougher when you're comparing last years flagship vs. a newer receiver that is third down in the line.

The MCACC of the Pioneer won me over, but as others have mentioned, you'll have to compare them(preferrebly with the same speakers in the same room)and decide for yourself.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks