yamaha rx-v1 or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin M., Jul 24, 2002.

1. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

Just getting into home theater and found what sounds like a great deal to me on a new rx-v1($1299.00).I have been reading past reviews from various magazines but have yet to find out what someone in the real world who owns one thinks of this unit.If there are better units than this one for around the same money I would love to hear about them.Any info or ideas are appreciated.Am I going in the right direction starting my newest of hobbies?
    Thanks Kevin[​IMG]

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

For the same price, I would rather get a Pioneer VSX 45TX (around $1100 street upon release, end of August 2002) with its MOSFET amp, auto MCACC, DPLII, NEO6 and 6-ch stereo capability.

Main reason? I don't like the sound of Yamaha amp. MOSFET sounds closer to tube-sound

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Glad you asked, the RX-V1 is one of the finest receivers Yamaha has ever made. While it doesn,t do PLII or Neo6 what it does do more than makes up for it. EX, ES,
    6.1 Matrix, 8 amplified channels, 0.015%
    THD, Damping factor 200 or more. At $1299
    its a steal, orig MSRP was something like
    $3200. Manufacturers have seen to it that the only way you will keep up with the latest audio formats is to buy a new receiver every 1 to 2 years, I won,t buy into that. The only consideration you might have with the RXV-1 is size and weight it comes in just short of 62 very real pounds.

4. David Susilo

Although what mentioned by Gerard is true, I'm still 'defending' Pioneer. Like I mentioned earlier, I personally like the Pioneer amp-stage sound much better than the Yamaha (and I A/B-ed my Pioneer power amp with RX-V1).

No IF you like the sound of the Yamaha. Go run and buy the receiver now, afterall, the sound is the most important thing of them all. However, should you have no preference in terms of the sound quality, I recommend you to go with the Pioneer just because the MCACC feature alone is worth the buy.

Again, listen... listen... listen... Buy whichever your ears love best. Features are just things to tip the scale when you have no preference between the two.

5. David Susilo

Although what mentioned by Gerard is true, I'm still 'defending' Pioneer. Like I mentioned earlier, I personally like the Pioneer amp-stage sound much better than the Yamaha (and I A/B-ed my Pioneer power amp with RX-V1).

No IF you like the sound of the Yamaha. Go run and buy the receiver now, afterall, the sound is the most important thing of them all. However, should you have no preference in terms of the sound quality, I recommend you to go with the Pioneer just because the MCACC feature alone is worth the buy.

Again, listen... listen... listen... Buy whichever your ears love best. Features are just things to tip the scale when you have no preference between the two.

6. Matthew Gray

Matthew Gray Extra

I agree with Gerald. I boougt mine 3 weeks ago for 1299.00 and to this day I have yet to find any faults. You will want to purchase a extra set of speakers for the front effects althought they are not needed I feel they are a nice addition to 5.1/6.1

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

That's a real good price and its a real good receiver. There's only a couple things that would make it better in my opinion. I'd like a full set of pre-ins, assignable inputs, particularly for the digital inputs, and more sound formats. Aside from that its great, and comes with more features than most other receivers in that price range. The top of the line Yamaha's are damn good. I've had the RX-V1 for over a year and I'm very pleased with it. I just moved mine into my new house, and it is quite a load to haul around, but its worth it.

Also, if it doesn't come with the RAV-2000 remote, consider getting one of those or the Prontos. The macro capabilities of this receiver are nice with a programmable remote. Even without that, the receiver is good about remembering the mode the input was in when last used. i.e. I can switch from TiVo to CD and it switches from DPL to stereo and vice-versa. Also you can change the display of the input names on the LCD. Helps keep things sorted out if you got a mess like mine. I have 3 DVD players, 1 LD player, a PS2, satelite, TiVo and CD changer connected to it.

8. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

While I will not argue the subjective argument of which amps "sound" better, I sell both the Elite and Yamaha lines and I have yet to find an elite rcvr that I couldn't QUITE EASILY drive into clipping, while I have to try much harder to make the Yammies do so ...in the BALLS category I prefer Yamaha
    I,ve also seen RXV3000's new for $1,000!

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Auditioning

I would like to thank everyone for the reply's.Went to the store and did some listening on various speakers and gave it a pretty good going over,the salesman's ears will be bleeding for awhile but he will live.Well I made first step towards a HT as I picked one up last night.Now that I've started I guess the money tree will be getting smaller and smaller.
    Thanks Kevin[​IMG][​IMG]

10. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Take a look inside a receiver. Then look inside a reasonable separate amplifier. Compare the driver transistors. Compare the number per channel. Then grab
    an electronic's data book and compare the specs of the
    transistors. Now you know why receivers are not know
    for amplifier quality or robustness. Mosfet or bipolar
    are moot (unless maybe you are using them to drive low
    power loads like headphones when you talk about a handful of components worth maybe $30.00 at RETAIL. When I see
    transistors in TO-220 packages in a "100 watt per channel
    receiver" I cringe.