Yamaha RX-V1 for $1399 @ Tweeter's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I got the paper today and was looking through the Tweeter's flier and noticed the RX-V1 Was advertised for $1399. So I called my nearest Tweeter. I was told that they are all brand new, no B stock, but brand new fresh out of the box. They have a lot in stock and in the warehouse. That's $1800 off the regular price. I've posted before i was in the hunt for a new receiver. It's funny every time I would go to Tweeter's or Good Guy's I'd always just look at the RX-V1 and walk away just wondering what if. With a price of over $2000...it was a little out of my price range. But now I'd be a lot closer to $1500(my current limit). Anyone who has this receiver, can you guys please give some helpful reviews of why you own yours. Before someone tells me to do a search, I will tonight as it is still early in the day where I live at. I'd like to know your experiences. I'm going to take ride down to Tweeter's. This thing is tank with high quality written all over it. I remember when some salesmen use to tell me that they were saving up to get one with their discount. I know know that everyone wants to be current. But getting the RX-V1 right now as opposed to getting lets say a Onkyo 898 would be like a lot different. I think most would agree. Thank in advance Charles.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, that is an awesome price for the RX-V1. My brother bought the RX-V3000 about a year-and-a-half ago for about the same price. The 'V1 doesn't have the latest and greatest sound formats, but the amp section is killer. Down the road, you could always add a quality pre/pro and use the 'V1 as a multi-channel power amp if you felt the need to have the newest sound formats. Of course, the 'V1 is a great piece on its own.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Charles,

That's an extremely good price. Yamaha must be gearing up for a new model. I wonder with the price so low at Tweeter what it would be mail-order. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, Yamaha replaced the 'V1 with the 'Z1 a few months ago. I have seen the 'Z1 at Tweeter.

5. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

That's my dilemma Keith. I know I won't have the latest and greatest but I know the V1 is a awesome receiver. I'm wondering if by this time next year will the Z1 be discounted like its successor. Man this a tough decision. I would like to have the all the latest formats because I've been waiting a few years now. I'm still using my Denon avr1700. I still have to use my DVD player to decode DTS., not any real bass management there. I've always said my next receiver wold be have to last me for a while, and hope to get one that will be upgradeable. That's the direction I was headed. My choices are Denon 3803, H/K 525, Marantz 7300, or the Yamaha 3300. I kinda had my eye on the new Elite 45tx. I'm going to take a listen tomorrow.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, I understand your point. However, I think the 'V1 is tough to pass up at $1400. Sure, a current $1400 receiver (i.e., one that originally retailed for $1400) will likely offer more sound formats than the 'V1, but it is not going to match the sound quality of the 'V1 in my opinion. As I said, you could get the 'V1 and use it as a multi-channel power amp down the road if you wanted to add a state-of-the-art pre/pro. The 'V1 could serve you well for a long time.

As for the 'Z1 being available for $1400 in a year, it's a crapshoot. Such deals on flagship receivers are unusual, so I wouldn't expect it next year. I suppose Tweeter just has a surplus of the 'V1, which they may not have of the 'Z1 in a year. In fact, if it is true that Tweeter has a surplus of the 'V1 now, they may have "learned from their mistake" and cut back on orders of the 'Z1 to avoid a surplus next year. I obviously have no idea what is going on at Tweeter, but I would not expect the same deal on the 'Z1 next year.

The funny thing about Tweeter is that their normal prices are nothing special, but when they have a closeout price on an item, it is often exceptional. A few months back, they were blowing out the Toshiba SD-9200 DVD-Audio player for $500 and the Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player for $800. Great prices there.

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Tweeter does buis near my market and I have come to know some of their people(similar product lines)....they call these deals "wisebuys" and they work 'em out with the mnfgrs ,getting deals that the smaller retailers can't take advantage of...they got in a load of new rxv3000's too at $1,000
    and their 3200's are down to floor models as Yamaha will soon be putting out the rxv3300's ...I asked the rep firm how they expect the smaller dealers to compete...no answer..
    they work out PHENOMENAL accomadation deals on equipment for their employees too.....seems they want them to be familiar with all the gear!.........I'VE BEEN WORKIN' TRADES THOUGH!!!!