What's new

Yamaha ?, RX-V vs HTR lines (1 Viewer)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I know, from other posts, that there is not much difference between the lines... other than the store they will appear in.
I am getting a set of paradigm studio 60 v2 with studio cc center and will run low efficiency polk monitor 7c's as the surrounds.

Will the HTR 5660 (85 w/ch)run those speakers, without comprimising quality. All 5 are all power hogs. The HTR 5660 or the RXV 640 would fit my budget (thats why i ask)

Lee M T

Second Unit
The only things I know of besides the places where they are sold are:

- Different color lettering on the units
- The amps are rated differently. 1khz for the HTR and full bandwidth for the RX-V.

Not sure if that second difference is a red flag for any amp deficiency in the HTR or not. I wouldn't think so, especially since they are the same price. Anyhow, I would suggest looking into the RX-V because at a specialty store, in which they are sold, they will usually work with you. I got my 640 for $440 as opposed to Best Buy's $499 for the HTR-5660.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
It's not like the R-V lines from the past where they rate them differently, they're rated exactly the same. If you look in both owners manuals, they're rated the same. Both are rated 20Hz - 20kHz and 1kHz. Both are 85W full-range, 105W @ 1 kHz. The only difference now is where you get them. HTR is authorized for sale through the big commercial stores and online retailers. RX-V is still confined to specialty stores only.

If warranty isn't an issue for you, check out etronics and pricesrite.
For the RX-V640 you can get it for 340 from etronics.

If warranty is an issue, then go with J&R.
You can get the HTR-5660 for 380 from them.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
What is the highest RX-V model that currently has a HTR counterpart?
RX-V640.

BTW I got my 5660 for $350 from a highly-rated seller on e-bay. Shipping took 2 days, and the unit was new/sealed in the box. If you're paranoid about warranty stuff, that may not be the way to go, but I thought it was a super deal, and I'm not really worried about most Yamaha products having defects.

On a separate thread recently I noted that Yamaha's own specs show a difference in component switching bandwidth between the 5660 and the 640. The 5660 has a 30Mhz bandwidth, and the 640 has a 60Mhz bandwidth. Probably just marketing though, and they're likely both 60Mhz. I tried it out, and HD broadcasts come through fine on my 5660.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
RX-V640.

BTW I got my 5660 for $350 from a highly-rated seller on e-bay. Shipping took 2 days, and the unit was new/sealed in the box. If you're paranoid about warranty stuff, that may not be the way to go, but I thought it was a super deal, and I'm not really worried about most Yamaha products having defects.

On a separate thread recently I noted that Yamaha's own specs show a difference in component switching bandwidth between the 5660 and the 640. The 5660 has a 30Mhz bandwidth, and the 640 has a 60Mhz bandwidth. Probably just marketing though, and they're likely both 60Mhz. I tried it out, and HD broadcasts come through fine on my 5660.
You can get it with the 2 year warranty for $380. Shit happens, better to be prepared.

As for the seperate thread, I noted that both are rated at 30 MHz. If you look in the manuals, both say the same thing.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
You can get it with the 2 year warranty for $380. Shit happens, better to be prepared.

As for the seperate thread, I noted that both are rated at 30 MHz. If you look in the manuals, both say the same thing.
Yes, "stuff" happens. But if my receiver blows out in the first couple of years, I'll take it as a sign from god that I ought to go out and buy a much more expensive one (with a warranty, of course). ;)

And as I responded in the other thread, the 640 manual states it has a DC to 30Mhz rating, but the specifications are listed as TENTATIVE for some reason. On another page the bandwidth is listed as 60MHz. I might as well break down and ask Yamaha what the story is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks