Yamaha RX-V 2500 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ClaytonMG, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely love this reciever, but last night I rearranged some furniture and the "hot spot" got moved a little, so I went to do the optimizer tests with the mic. However, out of no where, the test tones were soooo loud that I could hear my vents rattling. I was afraid of letting my speakers get blown, so I kept stopping it until this afternoon. Then I decided just to try to let it do it's tests and it froze for like 2 minutes right when it got to the middle channel. Then it said there was an "Internal Error". Now I unplugged it for about 6 hours and it's still acting up. What do I do? The thing is only like 2 months old.

Clayton

2. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

that only happened once with mine as well. For some odd reason when it was adjusting the sub volume the test tones for the sub were really loud that it kinda scared me that my sub was going to blow. I just left it off for a day and re did it again and never ecountered the problem again. What I find wierd though is that when checking the size of speakers it sets my fronts as small and my surround as large. I have athena asf2 for the fronts and the b2 for surround. I end up changing it back to small anyways, but I never knew why it played the test tones so loud. Try calling or e-mailing yamaha and ask. But then again you stated it said that there was an internal error, mine didnt. Check the wiring and make sure everything is secured. Good luck!

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Take it back to your dealer and have it exchanged or atleast sent in for service.

Kevin

4. ClaytonMG

See I would take in, but I've been through so much crap with recievers that I am just sick of dealing with them. So I want to make sure that I've tried everything before I take it in. Not to mention I don't want to have to pay to get it fixed since I spent close to $1000 on it and it's only 2 months old (which also means that I can't return it). Any other suggestions?

Clayton

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Do a reset of the unit. Should be in the manual or e-mail Yamaha for the instructions.

Kevin

6. allan espinoza

if thats the pnly problem and do not want to deal with yamaha, then why not just calibrate yourself?

7. ClaytonMG

Basically, I have it all back to the optimized settings, the only thing I don't have set back is the frequency response because I am not really good at getting everything to sound the same. I tried it with a Pioneer reciever once and it gave me quite the migrain. But I will try reseting it completely.

Clayton

8. ClaytonMG

Ok, in the instruction manual, it says to leave it unpluged for about a week and it'll reset itself. Does anyone know of a faster way? See every Friday I have movie night at my house (it's been going on for about 2 years now) and we've been watching the Star Wars movies every week for the past like 3 weeks. We only have 2 to go and I'd hate to have to stop now because of some weird flukey thing where my reciever quit working. Thanx for all the help!

Clayton

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Found this in the AVS Archives:

to do a reset of the RXv1400 do the following :

1) Make sure the reciever is off.

2) Press Preset/tuning (right-side) and the A/B/C/D/E , then turn on unit while holding these buttons. Wait 5 seconds before releasing.

3) Turn Program knob to number 11

4) Press Preset/tuning on right once .... look for "Preset RSRV"

5) Turn unit off for about 15 sec.

10. ClaytonMG

What does turn program nob to 11 mean? When I turn my program nob all it does is go through all the different processing modes (like the DSP effects and stuff). Thanks!

Clayton

11. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Hey ClaytonMG, I have the RX-V2400 and never had this problem with the YPAO calibrations. I did however have some problems with my receiver when I started controlling with software using the RS-232 port. I messed it up pretty bad until I discovered how to do a factory reset, which saved the day. See this thread I started a while back: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197090

I hope for you that the procedure to reset the RX-V1500/RX-V2500 is the same as it was for the RX-V1400/2400. Good luck!

http://207.107.210.136/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=9
    My DVD Collection

12. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

In case it has not been mentioned before, Yamaha recommends having your AVR's volume set to -20db when running the YPAO, otherwise you will get inconsistant measurements if the volume is either quieter or louder.

Haven't seen the Internal Error you mention crop up ever before, so I have no advice other than to reset your receiver as mentioned above.

13. ClaytonMG

But doesn't the YPAO automatically turn the volume up? Right now when I do the tests it turns it up to +10db which is extremely loud.

Clayton

14. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

YPAO adjusts the volume level to a factory pre-set level programmed in the receiver when it runs its tests. It doesn't matter what volume you set the AVR to before the test starts.

Clayton, I honestly think you should try the factory reset because when I run YPAO calibration it definitely does not go as high as +10db on the volume dial on my RX-V2400 unless that's something they changed with the *500 models.

http://207.107.210.136/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=14
    My DVD Collection

15. ClaytonMG

I don't think it's something they've changed, I thought it used to go to -10db. I had the 2400 model for a while, but it was a damaged return that no one told me about until I got it hope and saw the return sticker on the side. Anyway, I am trying to do a factory reset, but I still don't understand the 3rd step.

Clayton

16. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the exact same model, but I think I've read that among the possible causes for errors during YPAO calibration, principally they're due to ambient noise interfering with calibration.

17. ClaytonMG

That is true, but there's also other messages that tell you that there's too much other noise going on. And it's also dead silent when I do my tests. If I could just figure out step 3 to the reset I think I'd be fine.

Clayton

18. ClaytonMG

Well I figured out how to do the factory reset, and it still didn't help. The thing cost me almost $1000, it's less than 3 months old and I am already having problems with it. I have a pioneer reciever that cost me around $250 and it's 3 years old and I still haven't had any problems with that. Simply amazing. Any other suggestions?

Clayton

19. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Clayton, call your dealer and ask if he'll just swap it out for you if you bring it in or does it have to go out for service.

Kevin

20. allan espinoza

unless you bought it from an authorized dealer, they wont do anything for you, but feedback. You could get it serviced, but not free of charge.
    Wow, +10db is really loud, when I run the test tones i usually leave the room and tell everyone to shut up, politely of course, and it turns the volume up to -10db. Has it always calibrated at +10db? I am worried now about my unit as it is going on four months now.