What's new

Yamaha RX-A1000 Experts - Zone 2 EXTRA SP (1 Viewer)

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
I will be connecting an RX-A1000 receiver to a 5-channel amplifier using the Front, Center and Surround Pre-Outs. HDMI video in from a Cable Box (DVR) and from a Blueray Player. HDMI video out to a Panasonic Plasma tv.

While watching tv or Blueray in my living room, I would like to be able to send audio from FM or iPod to two pair of 8 ohm speakers (that's 4 speakers) in another room. The owner's manual shows how to connect one pair of speakers to the EXTRA SP jacks and warns against connecting more than one pair.

Can I safely connect all four speakers to the EXTRA SP jacks and set the impedence in the receiver to 6 ohm or does the impedence switch only work for the front speakers? If not, what can I do to accomplish what I'm wanting to do? The receiver is brand new I haven't taken it out of the box yet and can return it for exchange if needed.

Also, do the EXTRA SP jacks send a full range signal when being used as Zone 2?
And, does the HDMI pass through feature pass the audio and video signals through the receiver without modifying or discoloring them?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Zone 2 will only be in 2-channel stereo. As far as having two pairs on the extra speaker jacks, that will depend entirely on the power demands of the speakers. Small, efficient speakers, shouldn't be an issue at low to moderate volumes. If you are concerned, consider adding a speaker switch with impedance protection (example: http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SSW-Speaker-Selector-Pairs/dp/B00005NCWM).

Good luck, JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks