What's new

Yamaha RX-730 (or 630) vs Kenwood and Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Ashter

Auditioning
Hey everyone!

Im pretty new to the home theatre scene. Ive been into it for a while but have never purchased (have lots of friends with HT setups!). So for the last few months I have been on the long path of trying to find the right setup.

The Amps I have been considering is the Yamaha RX-730 or the RX630 (not really sure of the big difference between the two) and models like the Onkyo DS696 (which seems to be shrowded with problems) and the Kenwood KRF-X9050D-S (This is an Australian model, similar to the VR-6060) but is supposed to be one of the better mid-fi models.

Besides the build quality difference from the Kenwood vs the Onkyo and Yamaha, can you help me decide what features are worth having and why, and in the long run am I going to be happy with what the units offer? One big thing thats noticeable is that the Kenwood is 6x150rms while the Yamaha is 75x6rms and the Onkyo 6x100rms. so it looks like the kenwood will put out more volume compared to the Yamaha!??

It seems at this point I am leaning towards the Yamaha but still alot of people have been talking about how the power rating suck under a full load. This is all so confusing and so I need some help from some of you experts here.

Thanks in advance!

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I have demo'd the Yamaha under a lot of real world conditions with many differant speakers and have not found it to be underpowered . The 730 adds a better remote and on-screen display, two must-haves over the 630..........
Yamaha has a much better track record imho

Ashter

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback there Matt. Anyone or even some owners of a Yamamha, Onkyo or Kennwood wana tell me what they think. One thing I must say I looked at the cost of the Kenwood and its about $900 Australian opposed to the $1500 for the other two (The Yamaha and Onkyo).

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
I'd suggest the rx-v730 as well. I own 3 Yamaha receivers and have been happy with all of them. But because I like to have the very latest features, I have to keep buying new receivers! :b

-Vic

MarcEM

Grip
As far as reliability concerns, I have used a Yamaha RX-V793 for the last 4 or 5 years now. And runs everyday at least 6-7 hours, sometimes more if I'm working at home that day. It has worked flawlessly since the day I purchased it. It's rated @ 80WPC and drives my B&Ws effortlessly. I have thought of upgrading but will probably purchase a 5 channel amp instead.

One feature that is found on the 730 and not on the 630 is the ever disappearing Phono input.

Either receiver you choose will give you many hours of listening enjoyment.

Good luck,
Marc

Ashter

Auditioning
I dont know if you read I am from Australia, so I cant buy this sort of equipment from the states, they wont ship to me, so I have to buy in Australia and the 630 over here costs about $1100, DOH! Thanks all the same for the link :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks