Yamaha rx-1200, Avia... oddball stuff going on here

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leif Wall, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

May 4, 2000
    Okay I finally setup to calibrate my system with the Rat Shack SPL Meter and Avia.

First thing I noticed was that the SL and SR channels seemed to be switched. The cables running to the speakers from the receiver were actually correct though. I switched them anyway and it solved the problem? I actually noticed this last week while watching Terminator. Very odd indeed.

And of course I had issues with the sub setup. After balancing all my channels and throwing in Ep. 1, I ended up cranking the sub level from -20.0 to -13.0 or -12.0 on my receiver.

I must say though having all the channels balanced did WONDERS for my system. It sounds seemless now. Why the hell I didn't do this 2 years ago is beyond me.
  2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Mar 1, 2001
    I can't comment on the reversed surround channels.

However, one problem that is sometimes encountered when calibrating subwoofers is that of standing waves. Some of the low frequencies have wavelengths exactly the same as, or exact multiples of, your room's dimensions. This causes there to be locations in the room where those frequencies are extremely loud and other places where you can't hear them at all.

If you happen to be listening at a location where one of the peaks is, then you'll be calibrating for the peak, not for the average low frequency sound level. As a result, most low frequency sounds will wind up being much too quiet. Moving the subwoofer will change the locations of the peaks. You might try a few different places to see if that helps.

One way to find the best place for the sub is to put the sub in your usual listening position and then go around the room looking for the place with the flattest frequency response. Then put the sub there.

I hope this helps a little.
  3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Feb 11, 2001
    Odd, the SL and SR on my RX-V1200 are fine...