Yamaha replacement a downgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald_Spry, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

I am considering replacing my older Yamaha 995 with a HK 520. Would this be a downgrade in any of these categories?

HT

Music (I don't think it could possibly be worse)

Power (noticeable)

Thanks in advance.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

All in all having a newer receiver of this caliber, you should notice an improvement for both HT and music. You'll pick up some new decoding modes like Pro-Logic II, Neo-6, and Logic 7. You'll also be able to do 6.1 if you add an external amp.

It's rated a little less power-wise, but not enough for you to notice a difference(you can always add an amplifier if you want more power).

You might consider the 525 if you want the very latest that HK has to offer, too.

Good luck,

DJ

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

One category you should also consider is reliability,if added to the mix I would say yes a HK would be a downgrade.

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

If you are *really* set on the H/K that's fine. (Perhaps due to Logic 7?) But as a fellow RXV-995 owner, I've been looking at Yamaha's newest 995 "equivalents":

1) In the HTR line, available at Best Buy etc.. Yamaha's HTR-5590 offers 110 watts per channel, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-(discrete)ES, DPL-2, Neo6, component video.. ..yadda, yadda.. but with it being the HTR line, it does lack the nice "REC out" selector that I love on my 995, plus it lacks pre-outs for all channels. SRP seems to be $800.

2) The Yamaha RX-V2300 also offers all that the HTR-5590 does, but adds back the Rec out selector, the pre-outs and a few other small goodies. SRP is $999, but if you find the right salesman, or shop on-line....

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

HK a downgrade. . . Are you kidding? Don't let the power ratings fool you HK has real watts . Nothing wrong with Yamaha, I have owned many of their recievers and seperates I think I still have a M80 Amp in the back room, they were first with DSP, some of the finest processors around are yamaha, My Marantz pre/pro uses the yamaha chip.
    But looking at recievers IMO HK has most of the others wipped. I know this is like Religion and Politics everyone has an opinion.

6. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

For what it is worth...

I used to own a Yamaha 995 myself. I liked the unit and it sounded good for both music and movies. Unfortunely, I got the upgrade bug and traded it in for a Yamaha 2200. Maybe I got a bad unit but I thought the 2200 sucked for music. Movies sounded great though. I ended up returning the unit and now I'm in search of something new.

I noticed the 2200 was quickly replaced by the 2300. Maybe it was an ill line after all.

7. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

What speakers did you have mated with your 995?

I have Paradigm 40's and CC, how will the sound change with the HK vs. the Yammie?

Thanks for all the post!

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The HK will be warmer. You might not like the change at first, considering you are probably used to the sound of the Yamaha, but give yourself a week or so to adjust. I think the HK would be a good match with the Paradigms.

DJ