Yamaha Recievers and Cinema DSP

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JasonG, Jun 15, 2003.

1. JasonG

JasonG Agent

Hi all

I hope I posted this in the right forum. But my question concerns a feature I came across on my RX-V430 Yamaha reciver. It is called Cinema DSP and it can be used with Dolby Digital or DTS. Now my question is, should I be using this feature when I watch a movie in either of these sound formats? Will it make a difference and provide a better listening enviorment as the manual claims? I think it says it recreates more to what a theater would sound like. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

JasonG

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It is a matter of personal preference. The DSP (Digital Signal Processing) adds various amounts of reverb and redirects sound to surround speakers to create a different sound. I would say that most people would prefer the standard DD or DTS processing over one of the DSP modes. You can experiment by listenting to a familiar section of a movie in standard mode and some DSP modes. In additon to DVD movies, you can try it for music also.

3. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I most usually use the ENHANCED mode with movie viewing while in Dolby Digital or DTS...I sometimes will experiment with various other DSP modes like SCI-FI or ACTION for for fun.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

DSPs, recreate different sound fields, like a low cieling and brick wall in a jazz club, which is a common one. Most newer Yamahas have more, and they are made to recreate specific Venues, like the Roxy Theatere, or Anaheim Stadium.

I used to own a Yamah RX-V995, using ENHANCED Dolby Digital, DTS, or Pro Logic. That one DSP simulates multiple rows of surrounds form your 1 pair, and makes a nice effect. Use it if your 430 has it.

IMO all the rest of the DSPs sound a little fake, and need adjusting for the particular room you're in. Its fun to play with them though.

On the other hand, I did hear some newer DSPs on newer more expensive Yamaha receivers, and they sound very awesome, and much better than the older ones.

My 2 cents.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i already posted (before the database failure) so hopefully you already received my response. [​IMG]