What's new

Yamaha Recievers and Cinema DSP (1 Viewer)

JasonG

Agent
Hi all

I hope I posted this in the right forum. But my question concerns a feature I came across on my RX-V430 Yamaha reciver. It is called Cinema DSP and it can be used with Dolby Digital or DTS. Now my question is, should I be using this feature when I watch a movie in either of these sound formats? Will it make a difference and provide a better listening enviorment as the manual claims? I think it says it recreates more to what a theater would sound like. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

JasonG

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It is a matter of personal preference. The DSP (Digital Signal Processing) adds various amounts of reverb and redirects sound to surround speakers to create a different sound. I would say that most people would prefer the standard DD or DTS processing over one of the DSP modes. You can experiment by listenting to a familiar section of a movie in standard mode and some DSP modes. In additon to DVD movies, you can try it for music also.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
I most usually use the ENHANCED mode with movie viewing while in Dolby Digital or DTS...I sometimes will experiment with various other DSP modes like SCI-FI or ACTION for for fun.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
DSPs, recreate different sound fields, like a low cieling and brick wall in a jazz club, which is a common one. Most newer Yamahas have more, and they are made to recreate specific Venues, like the Roxy Theatere, or Anaheim Stadium.

I used to own a Yamah RX-V995, using ENHANCED Dolby Digital, DTS, or Pro Logic. That one DSP simulates multiple rows of surrounds form your 1 pair, and makes a nice effect. Use it if your 430 has it.

IMO all the rest of the DSPs sound a little fake, and need adjusting for the particular room you're in. Its fun to play with them though.

On the other hand, I did hear some newer DSPs on newer more expensive Yamaha receivers, and they sound very awesome, and much better than the older ones.

My 2 cents.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i already posted (before the database failure) so hopefully you already received my response. ;)
On the other hand, I did hear some newer DSPs on newer more expensive Yamaha receivers, and they sound very awesome, and much better than the older ones.
ditto that! of all the dsp's i've heard, yamaha's have always been the nicest to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks