What's new

Yamaha Reciever (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a Yamaha HTR-5590 as a replacement for my Pioneer VSXD606S receiver. I've got a Pioneer DV-525 DVD player with AC-3/PCM optical output. I'm questioning the compatibility of this DVD player to the Yamaha receiver as far a DVD format and connections goes. I'm selling the receiver to my neighbor so I'm wondering if I should sell the DVD player as a package and upgrade that as well as the receiver. If so, what would be a good replacement?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Jason

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Does the Yamaha receiver have a digital optical input? If so, then it will be compatible with the digital optical output of your DVD player. That interface was standardized quite a while ago. Or you could use the coax digital output from the DVD player, that will be compatible with the receiver's coax digital input.

OTOH, the DV-525 is fairly long in the tooth and it would probably be worthwhile to upgrade if you have a digital or HD-ready TV. IIRC, the 525 only has an interlaced video output. you will get better picture quality from a DVD player with a progesssive scan output on a digital/HD-ready TV, especially if it is widescreen. But if you have a standard analog 4:3 TV, it probably isn't worth getting a new DVD player.

Thanks for the info. I've got a 36' Sony Trinitron that is about 3 years old. I was planning on running the dvd audio into the fiber input on the Yamaha then S video from the receiver to the TV. Does that sound like the best way to set it up?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I prefer coax to optical for my digital connections, but either will work. As to the video, why not run it directly to the TV? Unless you have more video sources than your TV has inputs, there's no reason to run the video through the receiver. Also, doesn't that TV have component video inputs? If so, that's the connection you should use for the best picture quality.

Thanks for the advice.

The TV has one S video input and one RCA style video input along with l/r audio inputs. I could remember if the correct term was composite or component input so forgive the "rca style" term. I'm not sure where I got the idea to run through the receiver but for some reason I thought that was the way to go. I'll have to reconsider how I have things hooked up. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good replacement DVD player as an upgrade from the pioneer dv525?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Quoth the Jason Morton:

RCA Style is USUALLY indicative of COMPOSITE cables.

Component cables ARE the same RCA style cables as the composite, but instead of a yellow input on the TV, the inputs (3 for video instead of 1) are Red, Green, and Blue. If you don't have Green and Blue inputs on the back of your TV, you don't have component.

As for a replacement for your DVD player -- I'd look at the Toshiba SD-3800 or 4800, depending on your budget. Both are progressive scan if I'm not mistaken, which means they will pair well with HDTV. If you don't have a HDTV yet, you may want to consider a less expensive player depending on when you plan to upgrade.

The 5590 also pairs well with HDTV, so you may also want to base your purchase of the 5590 on whether or not you'll have a HDTV soon. If you don't the 5590 MAY be a bit of overkill.

Thanks for the clarification on the terms. I can never get those two straight.

Looks like Toshiba has some good dvd players. I'll check them out. I looks like the 4800 runs around $200.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Jason,

Are you planning to replace your TV in the near future? If not, I would recommend that you just keep the DV-525. From your description I can tell that your TV is a standard analog set, which means there would be small benefit to you from purchasing a new progressive scan DVD player. I would wait and upgrade the DVD player when I got a new TV that can accept progressive scan component inputs.

I'm looking at a new TV within the next 6 months. Possibly a 65' wide screen HDTV if my CFO (wife) will let me! :) With all the money I've been spending on other HT upgrades I'll have to cool off for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks