Yamaha reciever.....good enough??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Himanshu_S, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm considering the following for my HT setup.

Yamaha 5560

ND310--Front

SCS 135 for movies

since yamaha has A/B switching, I can have surround sound for movies only if I want to. My question is that

is the Yamaha reciever a good choice? or should i go with sony? Because these speakers are 250w max each, I feel that the reciever is little low on output. Sony has STRDE975 which I think is comparable to this yamaha. the sony is lacking the prologic II support but its 110wx5 (i think) I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a reciever alone since I'm planning to do the whole HT setup under $1000.

or should I hunt down a dicontinued HTR-5460?

Thanks for the responses

Himanshu

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I think you should stick with the Yamaha based on your suggestions. The 5560 has A/B selection, DPII AND Pre-outs. That model of Sony has nothing close to touching that and it only 100wx5.

I was a little confused by the "I can have surround sound for movies only if I want to" ...what did you mean by this?

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Sony rates their wattage for the 975 with a 1khz test tone and allows for .7% thd.....the Yamaha rates at all freqs(20-20,000hz) with less than .05% thd......the Yamaha sounds better to boot!

4. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I have always found Yamaha receivers to sound better than the Sonys. The Sonys do well in multichannel (DD, DTS) but are not as clean as the Yamahas for music.