What's new

Yamaha receivers (1 Viewer)

Andrew*B

Auditioning
I just bought a Yamaha rx-v557 that is running a set of dcm kx series speakers just wondering what people thought of Yamaha receivers. I paid $345 for this receiver a good guys could I get something that is better for the same price. I watch a lot of movies but listen to music frequently as well. I am new to home theater and some buddy told me Yamaha was good

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew*B

I am new to HT as well and have been doing alot of lurking (searching?) around here. There is a vast amount of knowledge here at HTF and asking a open ended question about any piece of HT equipment is a loaded question. I have been thinking about Yamaha as well. I have listened to a mixture of Yamaha and Onkyo A/V recievers and I personally like them both. I have not listened to the same type of speakers with both Yamaha and Onkyo ie. Polk or whatever with both. I have listened to Yamaha with their speaker (not sure what line) and have listened to the Onkyo with Polk and Paradigm

There are alot of options and there are many people around here with good advice when it comes to this stuff. The main thing is if your set up sounds good to you and you are happy then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. However.....if you are exposed to a truly great system such as a buddy or an aquaitence then be prepaired for the much dreaded "upgrade bug."

As people around here will tell you there is alot that depends on how you use your system and where it is located that directly affect your systems performance. There are some differences in systems used for HT and music, you will find people that will like towers for music and bookshelfs/subs for home theater. Search away and most importantly enjoy your system

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya Andrew B,
Newbie to the forum here(actually not that new, have been lurking for some time now)and my 2 cts from an old yammy520 user... yes they sound good for HT and believe it or not I like it better than a marantz 4200 for music too. My speakers are Small slim Jbl floorstanders, MRctr and control 1 sats. I echo what Rick RO says as well, bottom line 'It`s what sounds good to you that matters'

Regards.
David SGT

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
It is strictly a matter of personal preference. Yamaha receivers have a lot of features for their price, they tend to be very reliable and a lot of people like how they sound. I have a Yamaha receiver in my system (RX-V596), being used as a processor for the HT section. Some people prefer Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon, etc., but in that price range none of these are really any better than the others. If you're happy with your Yamaha, I wouldn't worry about it.

Westly T

Second Unit
From what i remember of DCM sound, I think the Yahama is a good choice to mate with those speakers.

RickRO, I have never been impressed with Yahama speakers, I think the receivers connected to Polk and Paradigm had an unfair advantage due to them being better speakers.

I personally don't perfer Yahama receivers due to minor detalis, but have found them to produce very good sound and they have good features specially in that price range. Currently Denon appeals to me, but I've not even looked at the more affordable models in their line. I think you will be happy with your choice.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Westly T,

Couldn't agree more. I liked both but would love to hear a Yamaha driving better speakers. I tried to audition a Denon (was wanting to expand my horizons but went to a local B&M store and was snubbed by the salesman. Sheesh go figure that one. Was really disappointed about that because they have some higher end stuff too and was looking forward to "test drive' some stuff. Guess I shot my self down when I told him the 61" plasma for $20,000 was out of my price range;) !!!

I am looking really hard at the RX-V2600 running the new SVS 7.1 system. If any one out there has that up and running feel free to chime in.:D

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha recievers are known for two things: 1. they are built like tanks and will last a long time. 2. They are relatively bright sounding compared to other comparable recievers (Denon and Onkyo namely.)

Pair a Yamaha with some nice warm sounding speakers and you're in for a treat. On the other hand if your speakers have a bright, forward sound, Yamaha may not be the right choice.

I personally use an older 5.1 RX-V 1000 paired with Boston CR series speakers with soft dome tweeters. Sounds very nice. Also sounds nice with Polk's or JBL's. Try to stay away from metallic tweeters as they are usually brighter sounding with the exception of the consumer Harmon speakers (Polk, JBL.)

Jason J G

Agent
I just purchsed (well, a few weeks ago) a Yamaha RS-V4600, and I love it. It was cloce in comparision to many units much abov that price range. Yeah there was a difference in sound compared to an upgrade like an Arcan, but, I didn't feel like it was a 1K difference. My next move will be that type of upgrade, but, swinging close to 10K in a few weeks, I think the wife would like me to wait..............

I am waiting for some Def Tech Mythos 1, 2 and 3 to arrive.............. Then I'll really se this unit shine!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another nice thing about Yamaha is that they’re really user friendly, as are most of their remotes. Their manuals are excellent, too, well laid out and easy to navigate.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Having owned receivers from Onkyo, Outlaw, Harman Kardon, and Yamaha, I now have two Yamaha receivers. The main questions are:

1. Does the receiver have the features you want or wanted?
2. Do you like all aspects of it, including the remote?
3. Does it sound good to you?

Eventually I will migrate to something else, such as the AV123 Emotiva or Emotiva Ultra Lite but that move is down the road. For now, I am completely satisfied and would not hesitate to purchase a Yamaha receiver again.

Andrew*B

Auditioning
I think the receiver sounds good to me but then again I am new to home theater and haven't heard a lot of receivers or speakers. The Yamaha was my first choice because I liked all of the options and price(it was on sale).

Thanks for the feedback Im glad that I joined the forum every thing that I read has help me in research.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks