What's new

Yamaha receiver's power enough? (1 Viewer)

DavidRod

Auditioning
I currently have a Sony 675 receiver that supposedly does 100 x 5. I just picked up an entire Axiom speaker setup that I really like and now want to replace my receiver. I'm looking at the Yamaha 5560 because I can get a great price on it and it has pre-outs. I'll be adding an amp in a few months but for now will have to use the receivers amps. Thing is that the Yamaha is rated at 80 x 5. Am I going to lose alot of output going from 100 to 80?

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I would be more skeptical of Sony 'watts' rather than Yamaha 'watts'.

The DE series isn't exactly Sony's finest hour.

Axoim has good sensitivity?

T.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
No, you won't.

Someone with more knowledge on this can explain it better. I had the same dilema before replacing my old 100w per channel Pionner receiver only to find out (how?) that the Yammy sounded much more powerful and a lot cleaner at 70w p/ch with the same set of speakers in the same room (and less warm too). Somebody told me it had to do with the fact that the Yamahas are "high current" amps capable of handling 4 ohm speakers, I could be wrong, I do not remember correctly, but it's something like that. Anyone can clarify this with some techie talk?

There you have it, try it out first. I got a second Yamaha receiver for my main set up just because of that.

Enjoy

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
You should be fine. Odds are very good the Sony NEVER GAVE YOU 100x5 watts at any time. The Sony DB1070, a very fine receiver otherwise, gives 31Wx6 but claims 100Wx6.

The mass market manufacturers routinely make false and misleading claims when it comes to power ratings. The proof is always in the testing.

What is the impedance of the Axioms? The only real knock I have against Yammy is the dreaded impedance switch. If you are using 8 Ohms you'll be alright...anything lower and your power output will probably drop below 50W.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
31w x 6!!!

That is unbelieveable. The QS is also Sony's middle lineup as well (ie. better than DE series).

If this is a Yamaha RX-V1200 equivalent, I don't think anyone can be disappointed given the price. As said before at length, the current Yamaha's are good value and perhaps a cut above Sony's lineup which is a bit oldish.

T.

StevenK

Second Unit
David,

Just curious as to where and how much you're getting the Yammie for. I'm in the market for the exact same receiver.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Just thought I should point this out that the 5560 is rated at 6x75W from 20-20. Not a big deal really. It's 6x80W at 1Khz, which is how Sony probably rated their system.

Regardless, I'd put my money on the Yammie to deliver cleaner and more reliable power to your speakers. Once you get that external amp you should be pretty happy with the setup.

- Mike

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Remember, you need to double the power output to raise the level by 3 DB's. BTW, I went from a 3x70, 2x35 (Yam 592) to a 5x100 (Yam 2095) and never noticed an increase power with my NHT S1's.

Bob

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Kenwood VR-510 which is THX certified and rated at 110 wpc. I ditched it after a week and went with the 5560 which sounds distinctly more powerful and clearer than that Kenwood could ever hope to be.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The S&V test this January issue on the Yamaha RX-V1200 showed a claimed 80Wx6 to be a real world 50Wx5 and 47Wx6. These are the numbers. They are what they are.
I don't have a knock against any particular manufacturer. I just want the equipment to test properly at the stated claim. When the max output at the clipping point is far BELOW what is claimed, the consumer is getting something put in his delicate tissues. I happen to own H/K. I love their receivers and amps...but they have problems in other areas ranging from frustrating (remotes) to maddening (shut-off) for some owners. I berate H/K for these flaws just as I laud them for the consistent, honest, clean amplification.
Yamaha has numerous models which deliver the goods or come very close. No hocus-pocus. Other models do not. The same can be said of other manufacturers. We should use the test info from as many sources as possible to our benefit...and if something smelly turns up...so be it.
I'm sure most of this thread's posters are familiar with these sites but I'll post a few for any stragglers:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm
http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...ivers_Reviews/
www.hifichoice.co.uk
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/index.html
We all know that one of the FIRST considerations given to a receiver or amp by a potential consumer is POWER. The manufacturers know this very well. The usual #'s games are fine so long as they stay away from significant deviation from the norm. But as manufacturers continue to add feature lists a mile long and extra on-board channel amplification I say now more than ever...let the buyer beware.

DavidRod

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies! My front and rear speakers are 8 ohm but my center channel is 6. Is that going to be a problem with the Yamaha's impendance switch?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
No, not at all. I would keep the selector at the 8 Ohm position as someone already stated and should you change to/add lower impedance speaks I would still run it there and watch for heat build-up. If your listening environment is not too large physically, you will be alright even with the 4 Ohm setting. You would simply have to turn your volume up higher to get the same sound levels. The more you have to do this, the more any amplifier is exposed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks