Yamaha receivers compared to Onkyo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cory O, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Cory O

Cory O Auditioning

I've had a great Onkyo receiver for the past 10 years which is an old Pro Logic II. Now it's time to upgrade. Well, it's actually way past time to upgrade. I've been looking at the present Onkyo's but I've also been looking at the Yamaha's. Does Yamaha have the oversized "guts" like the Onkyos? Any other comparison differences? I'm looking for a receiver in the under $500 range. Thanks!

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I would put Yamaha in the same class as Onkyo along with Denon and HK. Yamaha receivers tend to be pretty well/solidly built as well. Onkyo has new model receivers due out by late August/early September, so you may want to wait a bit and check those out if you are an Onkyo fan [​IMG]

3. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, HK, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Sony ES, etc are all great receivers. I've seen nothing but great performance come from them, I know I love my RX-V496. Pick what sounds good and you can afford, going on brand alone isn't usually a great strategy...but any from of the above mentioned brands is a good place to start.

4. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Roger that. In a given price band, you could do far worse than an Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

Really, look at the feature sets as they relate to what you want to accomplish. Then go to a dealer where you can give them a good listen.

Finally, play with the remotes. Does the interface make sense? Is it easy, or frustrating?

Buy a real brand, from a company that specializes in making audio (as opposed to specializing in toaster ovens and vacuum cleaners that also makes recievers!), and you will likely be satisfied!